Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Thief Club – “Chicago”

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Dec 11, 2019.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

Jared Luttrell likes this.
  2. Bonesaw

Collide

Is it just me or does this mix sound off? Hard to hear the vocals. I just tried it on Apple Music and it’s the same thing. Maybe it’s my earbuds here at work.

3. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

No it's not just you. It's terrible. Vox are buried.

4. Mitch Howell

This song could be super good, but it is awful for the following two reasons: 1. The mix is excruciating. 2. Well, the mix is excruciating. The song literally never breathes from the tremendously overdriven guitar.

5. metallikunt

I'm in love with the ordinary

I've loved this song for a while. Looking forward to the EP. To hear the demo of this song, check out his Downwrite page. It was originally called "Elizabeth". Check out Harper's Song while you're there, it's a cute, fun song about a dog.

Artist Bio

Jared Luttrell and VivaLaPopPunk like this.
  6. cosmickid

Composer, but never composed.

Feels to me like Nick's best songwriting days are behind him. Not really sure I would ever willingly play this again as it's so meh

7. hard to hear his voice in this mix but I really like their band name

8. VivaLaPopPunk

Regular

The demo sounds so much better than the 'final' version. The vocals are nice and clear, the guitar doesn't drown everything else out. It's perfectly balanced. I'm digging the 'demo' version of this song! Wish it was the final version haha

Jared Luttrell and metallikunt like this.
  9. slickdtc

Regular Supporter

Thought the one album under Thief Club was pretty dang good with some great features (and an awesome cover too!), so glad to see more. Nick is consistently very good solo, here, or with Hit the Lights. I dig it.

metallikunt and SFguitar like this.
  10. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

Invicta was incredible and since then, the stuff he has put out been pretty boring to me. I did like some songs on the last HTL album though.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  11. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

Yep, the demo is so much better. What the hell happened on the official release?

12. cosmickid

Composer, but never composed.

Oh man I still spin Invicta songs on a regular basis, it burns me that the style and caliber of songwriting on the record didn't become the norm

earthlight likes this.
  13. thetuningspoon

I think the mix is actually good, it's just overcompressed in terms of data/bit rate. That's why it sounds off.

I really dig the song.