Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Prince’s Musical Vault Drilled Open

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Apr 30, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Prince’s vault has reportedly been drilled open:

The seven-time Grammy Award winner reportedly left behind a vault containing so much music his estate could put out an album a year for the next century. “We could put out more work in a month than most people could do in a year or more,” Susan Rogers, Prince’s former recording engineer, told ABC’s “Good Morning America.”

2. I'd be more than happy to see an album if they can muster anything as good as Michael Jackson's Xscape.

3. Still feels icky though.

4. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

Read an article the other day that theorized Prince was hoarding his best stuff for the past decade and just sitting on it.

FTank likes this.
  5. Behind the Barricade

https://www.behindthecade.com

That first album they release will go through the roof in sales. Would be awesome to see a hologram Prince play his unreleased songs. Whatever happened to those holograms?

Raku likes this.
  6. CMilliken

Trusted

That is crazy to think about.

7. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

Where does that money go if they were to release some of his private stuff? I don't know how that works.

8. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

I didn't realize he had a literal vault where he stored his recordings. are these like, hard drives? or master tapes?

9. PandaBear!

Trusted Prestigious

I remember Kevin Smith telling his story about working with Prince & someone confirming to him that he had minimum 50 music videos in the vault for songs that were literally never going to be released. FIFTY!
    Damn vault is so mythical though that who even knows what the deal is & what will or won't see a release...

Raku likes this.
  10. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Any thoughts on this view? I kind of see the point.

Luroda and Dan O'Neill like this.
  11. Strikegently

close cover, strike gently

All of these recordings, and the earnings associated with them, will go to someone who Prince may or may not have wanted to have them.

This is why you make a Will, folks. If you don't have a Will, call an attorney and schedule to get one made.

12. On The View, in 2012, (and a few other times) he addressed the vault and said they'd be released at some point. He would have destroyed them if he didn't want them saved. He knew they'd be released.

He also posted a YouTube video at one point talking about it, but I can't find it, basically saying he'd release everything in it at some point in the future.

13. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

Yeah, maybe if they were just songs I wouldn't know whether it was ok but making videos and stuff for them totally means he'd want them released, imo.

14. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Yeah, and that's the other side I see too. I guess I don't want to see Prince releases featuring Will I Am or some other contemporary pop star tacked on to it.

15. heymattrick

Sending my love

"Xscape" was amazing. The one they released shortly after his death, "Michael", was not.

Chase Tremaine likes this.
  16. Agreed. I really only liked one song on Michael

17. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Honestly, there's material there for multiple SMile Sessions-level reissues in there.

In particular a set like that for Dream Factory would be Earth-moving.