Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

New ‘Sonic The Hedgehog’ Trailer

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

2. DandonTRJ

~~~ヾ(^∇^ Supporter

Is there another instance where a major film has undergone drastic changes in art direction based solely on audience backlash to a trailer? Because this whole thing is wild to me.

3. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

Looks so much better.

Ska Senanake likes this.
  4. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

The backlash seemed odd to me more because I didn't realize people held Sonic so near and dear to their hearts, and because I'm not confident a significant percentage of the people who complained about the design would go see the movie regardless of how he looked. I know movie studios are looking for existing IP to mitigate risks, but this just seemed like such a weird movie choice. And I even say all that as someone who had a Sega Game Gear (with Sonic) growing up.

5. cosmickid

Composer, but never composed.

Now that's fixed we can get to the important issue - the fact that this looks bland, unfunny and distant from everything remotely charming about the source material.

SuNDaYSTaR and Chase Tremaine like this.
  6. cosmickid

Composer, but never composed.

Sonic fans are pretty crazy imo, especially given that if you really judge the franchise as a whole, most of it is...not great.

7. Sonic the character now looks great. Sonic the movie still looks awful.

8. DandonTRJ

~~~ヾ(^∇^ Supporter

Sonic is a testament to how long a franchise can survive purely on the back of a well-designed mascot, since only about one in five Sonic games even approaches decent. Much like Konami and Silent Hill, the best thing that could happen at this point is wrest the IP from its creators.

9. KyleK

Oh I have no doubt they are, but I question whether there are enough of them to make a profitable movie (by today's standards). It just strikes me as a film that got a lot of attention for the crazy bad design, but the attention it garnered likely won't have any relation with the number of people who actually have interest in seeing it in theatres.

10. Analog Drummer

Regular

I still think this was Plan A and was a clever marketing ploy to get a buzz and good will

11. KyleK

I like that conspiracy theory!