Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Kenny Vasoli Doesn’t Want to Fuck With The Starting Line’s Legacy

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Kenny Vasoli talked with the Dallas Observer, about the current status of The Starting Line:

“The Starting Line is more of a tradition than a band at this point … and I’m very careful to not fuck with the legacy of this band,” Vasoli says. “I don’t just wanna shit out another record because it would mean more money or attention for us. Things go so well when we just do what we do.”

2. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

I can appreciate that though I do want more TSL music.

3. DerekIsAGooner

So assuming that this weekend...

I can 100% understand this. If they ever want to release a new record then I'm sure we'd all love to have it. That being said, if they only continue to play shows and let us sing along to the old songs then I'd love that as well. Just keep TSL going in some form.

4. thegreatbenbino

Be excellent to each other! Supporter

He's seen enough bands rise from the dead and release new music only for their fanbase to get pissed when they don't play enough old stuff at shows. Smart move.

bradsonemanband likes this.
  5. parkerxcore

Somebody's gonna miss us Supporter

Totally get it but I really believe TSL is one of those bands that wouldn't fuck up their legacy with a new record.

theasteriskera and CAC3 like this.
  6. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

Legacy is overrated. Good old music remains good regardless of what they release later, and should he/they ever want to make more music or play, they shouldn't feel they have to be so precious to protect their old stuff.

Not saying that's the fear he has, just countering the sentiment some people have. I'd also add, good old music can be ruined by other things though (like bad behaviour).

surgerone and zachmacD like this.
  7. Sherlock Mahomes Nov 11, 2019
    (Last edited: Nov 11, 2019)
    Sherlock Mahomes

Regular Supporter

Yeah, I understand this completely. On the other hand though, I feel like Kenny wouldn't fuck up the legacy. I go back in fourth in my head all the time about this band (being my favorite and all). I know for sure that I don't want them using that producer from the EP though. :-).

Edit: Dream team would be a new album produced by Ace.

Edit 2: should also point out that I love the EP. Love those songs...felt like I didn't express this clearly with the emoji.

8. cosmickid

Composer, but never composed.

Yeah I second this. Kind of wondering if maybe he thinks they couldn't write a record that hits like the old ones - but the EP from a few years back was killer and showed they still have it in them.

9. Dog Fish

Mutt

Rewatched one my favorite interviews of Kenny the other day

10. parkerxcore

Somebody's gonna miss us Supporter

Agreed I love the ep.

theasteriskera likes this.
  11. serotonin

who told you this room exists?

Thought their set was great at Riot Fest this year. I would definitely be down to hear a new record if they ever felt it, but I respect them leaving it as is too.

Hope to see Vacationer sometime soon. Missed the last time he was touring through due to another show, and Wavelengths is a solid record.

theasteriskera likes this.
  12. I would take three songs from them every few years tho, I loved the EP

13. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

Right, there's nothing wrong with only having TSL exist as a "fun-only" project if that's really what they want to do with it, but at the same time, Kenny is so careful with everything he does that I don't think it would be a stain on their legacy if they chose to release something. I can't think of a lackluster release he's ever done tbh.

14. Echoing the idea that I don't think TSL would release something that would hurt their legacy. I think they just have to be in the right headspace and it sounds like they haven't for quite a while. I'm mostly thankful that I finally got to see them in July. If that's basically it for them, they still have a great legacy.

15. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Say It Like You Mean It was THE album of my junior and senior high school years

JamesMichael likes this.
  16. CAC3

Dog

God, I love this band. The kind of mindset that is concerned with the band's legacy is the same mindset that would propel a new album to greatness. They just need to feel like it would be worth it for them. I'm glad TSL still exists in some way in my life. Quite possibly the pop-punk band I revisit the most often. Everything they have ever put out has been golden.

theasteriskera and parkerxcore like this.
  17. Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

More bands should think this way

jorbjorb, bradsonemanband and Sybil like this.
  18. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

Maybe I'm misinterpreting your post. But there's no harm to a band releasing more music if they want to release more music. If artists I like think they have something worth saying and want to create more music, I'd hate for them not to because they're afraid what people might think or how it could possibly tarnish their legacy. It's their legacy, they should do with it what they want.

19. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

I get that. Just stick with Vacationer cause that band can do anything :fire:

theasteriskera and zachmacD like this.
  20. Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

This would include not wanting to tarnish their legacy by releasing something that was sub par just for the sake of it.

My point is that a lot bands dont think this way & instead just get into the cycle of releasing stuff that is of lesser quality. Same thing goes for a TV show that runs too many seasons or a movie franchise that releases too many sequels.

Sybil likes this.
  21. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

Direction is such a high note to leave on

22. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

OH okay, Kenny.

23. zachmacD

Trusted

I agree with him. Just leave it be.

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  24. elphshelf

100% made of farts Supporter

I trust them to make the right choice. I wouldn’t mind more music, even if it’s just singles or an EP.

25. theasteriskera

Trusted Supporter

I spoke to Kenny after a Vacationer show a couple weeks ago & he has new TSL songs ready for an EP "in the near future".

I hope you've listened to the Anyways EP, all 3 songs are incredibly good. Whenever they play Quitter live Kenny says "okay here's the best Starting Line song ever written"

CyberInferno and CAC3 like this.