Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

New Releases with MusicHarbor

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Federico Viticci, writing at MacStories:

For people who want to stay on top of every new music release from their favorite artists, the tools available in Apple Music alone aren’t enough. And I understand why Apple doesn’t want to invest in this aspect of the service: not everyone runs a music-focused publication or needs to know about every single release for hundreds of artists every week. Since the unfortunate demise of Record Bird – the app that encapsulated my ideal new music release discovery tool – I’ve been building a new system to stay on top of music releases, and I’d like to explain how.

It’s a blogception! I, obviously, agree with everything here and plan to take a look at this MusicHarbor app later today.

2. noKings

Regular

Always thought Spotify was great for this

alkalinexandy likes this.
  3. Where's there new release section of stuff in my library? I see Browse > New Releases ... but I don't see something that looks at what I listen to, have in my library, and shows me all the new stuff for this week from them.

4. texasismyreason

Have been using MusicHarbor for a long time. It's awesome for seeing what just came out and what's coming out for things in your library. There are a lot of singles I wouldn't otherwise discover from bands I may have not listened to for a couple years. It's perfect for anyone with large libraries and on Apple Music.

For example, I used to be a big Phantom Planet fan. They recently have had a couple singles come out. I don't follow them on any social media channels and they may not be a big enough to make any blogs I read. If for not an app like MusicHarbor I would never have known they have new music coming out.

beachdude and Jason Tate like this.
  5. CapnJazzHandz

Regular Supporter

MusicButler will track and notify you on album releases, and also integrates with Spotify and amazon. It isn't an app, so it's universal, and you can set up email notifications.

6. surgerone

Regular Supporter

Just downloaded the app, I’m curious to see how it is. I spend way too much time digging around trying to track down new releases (just yesterday discovered Mansionair released their full length in like MARCH, dammit).

7. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

The "New Releases For You" on the home page (of the Windows app at least) links me to new albums and singles from artists I follow.

8. Hmm, I don't see this on the Mac version.

9. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

That's definitely a miss on Spotify's part then. It's by no means an exhaustive list, but I've found it helpful for singles/EPs, which I'd maybe otherwise be less aware of.

10. theasteriskera

Trusted Supporter

I agree, I don't see EVERY new release from EVERY artist I track on Spotify, & I really really want to at 12 am EST every Friday without doing anything. I'm not being ironic or facetious, I feel like we should be able to achieve this without using additional software/apps/email subscriptions

11. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

Y'know, I almost wrote you something after your newsletter last week (or was it the one before that?) where you talked about Apple Music not being great for new music.

It's not 100%, but holy wow is Spotify significantly better. The new release playlists aren't the best, but the Release Radar is consistently spot-on for me. Occasionally something slips through the cracks, but that's when I lean on the "New (Insert Genre Here)" playlists.

There's definitely a weird algorithmic thing where artists pay for placement in them (nothing about my taste in music would tell them that I had any interest in that Sting/Shaggy release from last year, for example) and you need to tell them that you don't want that artist to pop up in your Release Radar, but that's a minor thing.

I'm all-in on Spotify for new releases.

But I'm looking forward to checking out this new app too!

slickdtc likes this.
  12. Yeah, I don't really want playlists though. I very rarely want to listen to anything new that way. I want a nice formatted list of new songs and albums from artists I have in my library and be able to check them out.

I don't see a custom Release Radar playlist in my account either though.

13. 7DE8DB60-1470-48A5-9B51-C64E9A33F19F.png

Hmm. This looks pretty good so far.

surgerone likes this.
  14. noKings

Regular

Should be under Made For You. It's usually on my front page when opening every Friday.

I usually come here for new stuff, but Radar has a track from every new release of stuff I listen to and also some new stuff thrown in.

15. Ben Lee

I drink coffee and dad my kids Supporter

Ok this is awesome. I love that I can open it right into Apple Music too.

16. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

I get that. I mostly just open it up, right-click each song and go to the album... Thinking on it, it would be nice to get a "new releases" list divided up by singles and albums instead of the two presented in a clump. So I hear ya' there. My point is just that, compared to Apple Music? Spotify is generally pretty on-point with what I actually care about checking out.

For Spotify, the Release Radar playlist pops up in the "Made For You" section. Mine is currently making me super happy with new Beach Slang, Tsunami Bomb, Atmosphere, Grumpster, the Drowns, War On Women, a live Manchester Orchestra track, etc.

noKings likes this.