Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Tyler Glenn (Neon Trees) – “Trash”

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Tyler Glenn, the lead singer of Neon Trees, has released his new song “Trash” on Apple Music, YouTube, and a video on Rolling Stone. The song comes from Tyler’s upcoming solo album, due out this fall on Island Records. The full press release can be found below.

“My entire life and perspective on God, the afterlife, morals and values, my self-worth, my born sexual orientation…all of it had been wired within the framework of this religion that doesn’t have a place for me,” says Tyler Glenn. “They claim it’s the only truth, the Lord’s church, but there have been 40+ suicides within the church as a result of that – men, women and children. I needed to make this statement to artfully show the pain of a faith crisis and the darkness of doubt. But also that there are ways to reclaim what is yours – I’m beginning to reclaim what is mine now with this song, with this video and with this record.”

LOS ANGELES, CA – April 29,2016 – “Trash,” the new video from Neon Trees’ lead vocalist/keyboardist Tyler Glenn, premiered today on RollingStone.com and can be seen HERE. The track, which is from Glenn’s forthcoming solo debut album via Island Records, is available for purchase on iTunes.
    Glenn, who had been a Mormon since childhood, came out as gay in a 2014 interview with Rolling Stone. “Trash” takes fans inside the crisis of faith he was thrown into last fall when the church announced a new policy that identifies those in a same-sex marriage as apostates and prohibits their children from being blessed or baptized by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS) until they turn 18 and disavow their parents’ lifestyle.

The lyrics that Glenn penned for “Trash” are raw and defiant yet ultimately celebrate the elation that comes from reclaiming one’s independence. Glenn, who lives in Salt Lake City, co-wrote the music with longtime collaborator Tim Pagnotta. Sonically, the song is edgily electronic – a marked departure from Glenn’s work with Neon Trees. The video, directed by Mike Harris (Blur), follows Glenn as he gives a blistering performance of “Trash,” making his way down a narrow hallway decorated with modified portraits of LDS founder Joseph Smith (painted by Glenn).

“My entire life and perspective on God, the afterlife, morals and values, my self-worth, my born sexual orientation…all of it had been wired within the framework of this religion that doesn’t have a place for me,” says Tyler Glenn. “They claim it’s the only truth, the Lord’s church, but there have been 40+ suicides within the church as a result of that – men, women and children. I needed to make this statement to artfully show the pain of a faith crisis and the darkness of doubt. But also that there are ways to reclaim what is yours – I’m beginning to reclaim what is mine now with this song, with this video and with this record.”

Glenn has been recording in Los Angeles, finishing up his first solo album, which will be released by Island Records this fall. He will perform at the upcoming Island Life concert at The Fonda Theatre in Los Angeles on Monday, May 9.

Neon Trees are currently taking a break from the road after touring extensively in support of their third album, Pop Psychology (Island Records), which debuted at No. 6 on The Billboard 200, at No. 1 on the iTunes Alternative Album Chart and within the Top 5 of the Overall iTunes Album Chart. The band has scored such multi-platinum hits as “Animal” and “Everybody Talks.” “Sleeping With A Friend,” the first single from Pop Psychology, was a Top 10 hit at both the Alternative and Hot AC formats and within the Top 15 at Pop radio.

2. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

Was just wondering about Neon Trees today. They have been adding new photos on Facebook of the band, so was thinking that there may be some activity going on there. Will be looking forward to his solo album.

3. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Song's not bad! Better than a lot of the last Neon Trees album :-/

4. being raised in the same area as tyler, i know how hard it is to live up to the mormon expectations and how they try to program you (from way too young of an age) to believe that certain things and particular lifestyles are wrong. i can only imagine what tyler has gone through his whole life, and all of the emotions he's faced. this is great! i'm glad he's putting this all out there and into his music.

also, i really like the portrait of joseph smith hanging up in the hallway, ha. great video!

5. DeeZee

If Young Metro Don't Trust You... Prestigious

Solid song, he looks cool with a beard.

6. TheWater(s)

Kiss The Sky Prestigious

Also worth the watch. Super proud of this dude standing up against the church. Him spitting in Joseph Smith's face in the music video was really powerful to me as someone in the midst of leaving the Mormon Church. Glad he's taking a stand against the awful policies they have.

Jason Tate likes this.
  7. I unofficially left the Mormon church right before high school. I didn't get have many dates or anything because I was a "bad influence" but man I'm glad I got that heavy load off my back early on.