Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

My Chemical Romance – Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

The 15th anniversary of the My Chemical Romance classic has come and gone, but with the recent news of them reuniting, I just couldn’t wait five more years to write about Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge. I vividly remember my first time hearing this record. I was a 21-year old, shopping at my local Hot Topic, browsing the listening station of the recent CD releases. The Three Cheers artwork grabbed my attention from the first look, and I knew I had to see what the band had come up with, having only seen them open up for The Used at the 9:30 Club about a year prior. The album was produced by one of all-time favorites, Howard Benson, and had it not been for my immediate trust in the producer; I may have waited to purchase this album until a few weeks later. What I was not expecting was just how professional, polished, and amazing the record was, as I became immediately transported into the world of MCR. From the opening notes of “Helena,” I knew this band had created something incredibly special, immediate, and gripping from the very first listen. It’s safe to say that this immediate purchase of the record was not one that I came to regret.

“Helena,” and the music video that would follow, exploded the popularity of My Chemical Romance at a pace that neither the band or label had expected. The expectations of being signed to a major label during this “era of emo” in 2004 were that the band would be popular, but even Reprise Records had to have been shocked by not only the final product of the album but the cultural icons that MCR were becoming. The song itself is built around a perfect combination of a dual-guitar attack of Frank Iero and Ray Toro that meshed brilliantly with the aggressive vocal style of Gerard Way. By the time the Queen-esque, and massive chorus of, “What’s the worst that I can say? / Things are better if I stay / So long and goodnight,” it was clear that the band had their own lofty expectations of what they could accomplish on this album. As much as I love The Black Parade, Three Cheers was really my “first love” and introduction to the band. For that reason, this record will always have such a sentimental part in my life.

The brash punk rock of “Give ‘Em Hell Kid” came across as a great transition between their debut album, I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love, and bridged the gap of what My Chem wanted to remind longtime fans of the group of, yet still look into the future for a glimpse into the art they were capable of creating. From the much-improved lyrics found on Three Cheers such as, “Some might say, we are made from the sharpest things you say / We are young and we don’t care / Your dreams and your hopeless hair / We never wanted it to be this way / For all our lives / Do you care at all?” it was almost as if the band was speaking directly to their new army of followers. The aggressive punk rock style continues on songs such as “To The End,” that features a pulsating bass line from Mikey Way, and more stellar vocals from Gerard. The way everything just clicked together like a perfect puzzle on this album made this band’s ascension into the mainstream something we had never seen before in our “scene.”

“You Know What They Do To Guys Like Us In Prison” featured some of my favorite Gerard lyrics from the beautifully tragic imagery of, “In the middle of a gunfight / In the center of a restaurant /They say, “Come with your arms raised high!”/ Well, they’re never gonna get me / Like a bullet through a flock of doves / To wage this war against your faith in me /” showcased an artist at the top of his lyrical game. It was almost as if Gerard was channeling his inner John Woo-inspired films of the “flock of doves” imagery and also showed his love of film and comics, in general.

And then there was the first single, “I’m Not Okay (I Promise).” What a hell of a blast of a song. Gerard was again speaking directly to all the misfit kids out there who may be going through some fucked up times in school and telling them that it’s okay to be messed up. Even in the bridge where he sings, “Forget about the dirty looks / The photographs your boyfriend took / You said you read me like a book, but the pages all are torn and frayed now,” he’s setting the scene of a place where it’s okay to be yourself and join in on the madness that follows. This became one of My Chemical Romance’s most important “moments” in their career where they had a fictional story draped over a very biographical approach to their songwriting.

The imagery found in the music video of “The Ghost of You” with its Saving Private Ryan-inspired flair showed the dedication the band had to telling a story through their music. Whether it be thru the lens of a music video, to their actual live performances on stage, My Chemical Romance became comic book characters of their own sense through their costume choices and the direction they took throughout their storied career. The dedication to their craft became increasingly evident through each music video, live performance, and interview that the band released.

Other songs like “Thank You For the Venom” became a mantra of sorts that established My Chemical Romance as much more than “just a band;” they became a franchise on this record. From the emblazoned merchandise designs, to the creative directions in the music videos, it appeared the band had a vision for just about every part of their career.

What set apart My Chemical Romance from the vast number of punk/emo bands during this era was their ability to have this vision for their music, and the musical chops to back up what they wanted to accomplish in their music. Sure, a band can have a great vision for their merch, album artwork, and wardrobe on stage, but if the music itself isn’t great, it just won’t work. This becomes evident on the song, “It’s Not a Fashion Statement, It’s a Fucking Deathwish.” With a title like that, My Chemical Romance had to back that shit up with some incredible music behind it. Lucky for us, they were more than up to the task at hand.

“Cemetery Drive” again showcased a band who knew their strengths down to a point, and once more had Gerard and Mikey’s story of losing their grandmother in real life mixed into the realm of the fictional revenge story found on the album. On the surface, there is plenty of emotion from the songwriters, but its just as easy to get wrapped up into the fictional story as well. Lyrics such as, “I miss you, I miss you so far / And the collision of your kiss that made it so hard,” find two kids losing their grandmother at a crossroads. The tragedy of that moment where Gerard and Mikey saying in interviews on just how inspiring this family member was is heart-wrenching to say the least, and we feel for them on their journey to coping with this loss.

The eventual album closer of “I Never Told You What I Do For a Living” wraps up the revenge story in a bloody way as Gerard hauntingly sings, “And never again, and never again / They gave us two shots to the back of the head / And we’re all dead now.” It’s a clever way to transition into the realm of The Black Parade, which is clearly about death and what comes next, and looking back on this song today makes me appreciate the vision the band had for their art even more than I thought would be possible.

The vision that My Chemical Romance has for their music was sorely missed from these past six years. I’m so stoked for my favorite band to be back together, touring, and fingers crossed, making new music in the very near future. Three Cheers for MCR being reunited and ready to save the world once again.

2. Brodobaggins34

They fixed your brain when you were young.

I'll never forget that first time I saw the Helena video on TRL... My life was literally changed in that moment.

summertimejesus and paythetab like this.
  3. josh-

Twitter: @joshcaraballin

The deep cuts on this album are so good. I back the musical chops parts hard. MCR are clearly some of the best musicians to come out of that scene, the guitars on this thing are underrated.

4. Phil507

Resident NYC snob Supporter

"I was a 21-year old, shopping at my local Hot Topic". This makes me feel not so terrible that I listened to MCR at the same age. At that age, I felt like I was already too old for that scene but MCR was definitely a band that I still gravitated towards.

Dan O'Neill and paythetab like this.
  5. estacey99

Oh yeah, oh yeah, everything is terrible.

I was in middle school when I heard Helena on a Big Shiny Tunes CD. Still my fave album from them even with how much I love Black Parade

paythetab likes this.
  6. paythetab

Chorus.FM Album Reviewer (Adam Grundy) Supporter

Haha, I aim to please...

7. paythetab

This photo was taken the very first time I saw My Chemical Romance play live at the 930 club in Washington, DC. I think this photo is about 17 years old... IMG_20191104_162539.jpg

8. heymattrick

Sending my love

I see Hang 'em High wasn't mentioned, so I'll just throw that one out there. One of the best choruses on the album, IMO.

Don't stop if I fall / and don't look back
    Oh, baby , don't stop / bury me and fade to black

Also, Jetset Life also slaps. Give 'em Hell Kid is a song I will listen to at any time.

Dan O'Neill and paythetab like this.
  9. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

I first heard I’m Not Ok on the radio in 7th grade and fell in love ever since. This was the first album I bought and it got me into “the scene”. Words cannot express how much it means to me. Great write up, Adam.

paythetab likes this.
  10. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

I remember being at my cousin's house. She and her emo friends(they were all ~15 and I was ~12 so they seemed REALLY cool to me) were listening to three cheers and I was blown away by it. She burned me a cd, and later that day I had a 3 hour coach journey and I just sat there the entire time listening to it on repeat. I already liked quite a few bands(good Charlotte, BFS etc) but that was the first time I was ever really blown away by an album.

paythetab likes this.
  11. SuNDaYSTaR

Regular Prestigious

I remember learning about them right here and listening to them on PureVolume for the first time. They already had a low-budget video out for I'm Not Okay if I recall correctly.

I initially thought that that song and Thank You For The Venom were amazing, but quickly forgot about them. It wasn't until I overheard I'm Not Okay playing during a late-night music video program that I really got into them.

paythetab likes this.
  12. Noradrenaline

Regular

I tried to clear this pic up a bit. Can't say I really succeeded, hah. Well well!

Attached Files:

SuNDaYSTaR and paythetab like this.
  13. paythetab

That is actually pretty impressive! I probably have the original negatives around my house somewhere, but it would be a pain in the ass to locate it among my concert photos haha Thank you!!

Noradrenaline likes this.
  14. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

This was a great review. The part about MCR having such a clear vision for everything they did is so spot on. Its like what @Jason Tate said about The 1975 in that both bands make sure all parts of them being a band, from their live shows to their music videos to even their merch, makes sense for their band and works together as a unified whole.

15. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

Late night sleepovers with MTV2 on and catching the "Helena" video >>>>>>>>>

paythetab likes this.
  16. Echoing what others have said about the impact "Helena" and the video had on them. Right song at the right time for me.

paythetab likes this.
  17. paythetab

Thanks so much for reading it!

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.