Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Grayscale’s Unique Merchandise Passion

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Oct 29, 2019.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Collin Walsh of Grayscale talked with Quentin Singer at Forbes to talk about the band’s unique merchandise and business model:

From a simple glance at the band’s online store, their merchandise is undoubtedly a major step above most young bands, and even many mainstream artists. From the photography, the designs, and just the overall presentation of their apparel, some might confuse Grayscale as a new streetwear brand, rather than one of the alternative rock scene’s finest new bands. Elaborating on how the band created such a successful merchandise model, vocalist Collin Walsh and creative director Jordan Mizrahi, detail the evolution of Grayscale and how it’s become a clothing brand just as much as an alt-rock band.

2. Sherlock Mahomes Oct 29, 2019
    (Last edited: Oct 29, 2019)
    Sherlock Mahomes

Regular Supporter

This is awesome! I didn't realize bands even looked into this sort of thing. I just assumed every band t that I would get would have a shelf life of 12 months (if that).

Also, album is in contention for AOY. I just keep coming back to it. Such a fun listen.

3. thechetearly

Regular

Their store is really good for the band taking the lead, but anything Rivals Group / Merchline (Home // RIVALS group) touches / has touched is, without doubt, 10 paces above everyone else in the industry.

artbynickferran likes this.
  4. artbynickferran

nickferran.com

Love this band and the new album. I had no idea their merch game was so insanely good – I'd love to do a design for them someday.

5. thegreatbenbino

Be excellent to each other! Supporter

First time looking at their merch and I'm super into it. This album has been in rotation more than even Blink, 3EB and Jimmy Eat World for me lately. Just something about it that I can't get enough of.

KyleAtGalaxy likes this.
  6. cosmickid

Composer, but never composed.

I clearly need to give this album a few more spins because every comment I've seen is raving about it and I couldn't get past the feeling that it was just one of the most derivative things I've heard all year. Feels like the band shed their identity completely.

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  7. thegreatbenbino

Be excellent to each other! Supporter

I mean, it's nothing you haven't heard before, but it's all done so well. The thing that keeps bringing me back so much is the feeling I get listening to it. Tough to explain, but for me (and a few others it seems) it's just got that "it" factor.

slickdtc likes this.
  8. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

I don’t feel like they’ve shed their identity at all, if anything I feel like they’ve really honed it in. Listen to/read some of the interviews or track commentary, they seemed to be doing exactly what they wanted to with this album.

cosmickid likes this.
  9. KyleAtGalaxy

Regular

Mother Nature is my AOTY but Nella Vita is a very close second.

thegreatbenbino likes this.
  10. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

I don't mean to compare the music itself (although as I listen to it, they probably coincidentally do share some influences), but I had the exact same reaction to the last Pentimento album. Everyone seemed to love it, ordered the vinyl without hearing it, and just didn't get what the fuss was about.

cosmickid likes this.
  11. Sherlock Mahomes

Regular Supporter

Wanna sell that vinyl??!

12. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

I would! Though I'll admit I've never shipped vinyl before, and know how much I hate receiving poorly packaged vinyl.