Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Tom DeLonge Comments on New Blink-182

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Tom DeLonge has taken to Facebook to comment on the current Blink-182 situation. You can find the entire post below, but one excerpt stood out to me:

For one, I think partnering with a song-writer on the Blink album (Feldy- 5 Seconds of Summer, Good Charlotte) was too far a change, but something they desired, and that in itself may be an indicator of some of our current artistic differences that are difficult to overcome. I guess I’ve always just liked the song-writing we did together. But, at the end of the day, I support their desires. And if they are happy, then that’s what matters.

I think kinda throwing John Feldmann under the bus here is a dick move, but more so I continue to hate the meme that shows up from time-to-time that writing music with an outside source is inherently inferior. If you sit down to write music and bounce ideas around with a friend, that’s seen as totally legit. But the moment you give that friend credit on the song, or give them money for their work, somehow that’s now seen as less. I think that mentality is silly.

I’m glad to see Tom is working on his own projects and is finding happiness in all of his art and different endeavors. I also think Blink-182 is better than ever. I think it’s ok for both of these things to co-exist.

ChaseTx likes this.
  2. Tim McCall

Regular

Isn't he writing a series of books with a co-writer?

3. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

I try so hard to come to terms with he just lost interest with the band and accept it and then he makes comments like this basically saying he's better or that it wasn't him being stubborn and I just cast him as the villain for the past decade of blink's history. Honestly Travis's comment yesterday about getting a producer is good or else you get something like Neighborhoods is so true. I hope he realizes what probably brought the best out of the band in their records was Jerry Finn taking their ideas and polishing them. Also it's obvious as much as he had lost interest in the band he is not over it.

4. josh-

Twitter: @joshcaraballin

I like the idea of having two blink-182's. A pop-punk one with skiba, and a more experimental one with tom.

Raku likes this.
  5. BornToRun

Regular Supporter

So Tom doesn't think he needs a producer? Yikes.

6. dubey

Regular

So blink 182 and angels and airwaves

7. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

Can I make a second account to like this twice?

8. bristphili

wish he'd just be quiet

koryoreo likes this.
  9. Hallowsandhoots

formerly alligator blood Prestigious

At this point I'd be sad to see Tom rejoin. After hearing "Bored To Death" I genuinely believe Matt can be their future, whilst Tom is now free to do what he wants to. I just want their fans to have the band back without the grey cloud that's been cast over it the past 6 years.

10. palewhiteboy88

Regular Supporter

Anyone else get the vibe that he included five seconds of summer and good charlotte as feldman's reference work negatively?

11. PandaBear!

Trusted Prestigious

I think this whole "punk mentality" (of certain styles & choices not being "punk enough") being been seen as negative has actually come full circle in that the instant dismissal it gets is actually just as closed-minded. To me, Tom is not throwing anyone under the bus here - choosing to write as just the three of them in a practice space is Tom's preferred method (one born in "punk") and it's worked pretty well for them the past 20(?) years. To me it show's that Tom is confident enough in his & the bands ideas & chemistry that he doesn't need outside help in order to make his songs popular/relevant. Whether he's right or wrong is subjective, but I don't think he wrote that in a malicious way...

Kizwiz, Raku and Anti-Counter-Culture like this.
  12. red8ge

Regular

Kind of love how passive aggressive his letter was, tbh. Really fucking funny

13. PandaBear!

Trusted Prestigious

Well, they are both bad bands who's target audience is one Tom no longer wishes to write for (been there, done that), soooo....

14. jorbjorb

7 rings

LOL so good. What a guy.

15. BornToRun

Regular Supporter

Blinks most successful records had a producer.

BigG1392, beachdude42 and fenway89 like this.
  16. TheDunkinMaster

So is Feldman writing songs with the guys from scratch or is he more producing already written material?

17. PandaBear!

Trusted Prestigious

isn't he (& we) not talking about songwriters as opposed to in-studio producers who help out when songs are pretty much fully formed?

18. J.Dick

Regular

Tom doesn't need an outside writer. He has written the same song over and over since the first Angels and Airwaves single. (I didn't listen to that Dream Walker or whatever it was called so don't jump my shit about how it was "pretty good").

19. Ska Senanake

Trusted

I would like tom to rejoin and have them keep skiba and see what they could do with 2 guitarists!!!

CMilliken and Raku like this.
  20. jorbjorb

7 rings

nope

21. Jacob Davidson

Regular

If the music comes out better with a cowriter then please use a cowriter. Lyrics have never been this bands strong point anyway.

22. austindavispdx

Still on this side of the grass

California will most likely be better than Neighborhoods but blink being "better than ever" is too far for me.

Other than that, good for Tom, good for Mark, good for Travis, good for Matt. After all the crap that's what it comes to.

kpatrickwood likes this.
  23. J.Dick

Regular

Producer means a lot of things. Some dudes like Steve Albini are more on the sound engineer thing and record the band and capture the best performances whereas some producers like Feldmann co write, mess around with songs and melodies, and might even play instruments and essentially become a part of the band. Its just a different approach to making records.

beachdude42 and Jason Tate like this.
  24. rst

Regular

I wrote this in another thread but not sure if its correct, I can play basic guitar so input from anyone with real knowledge would be cool. Im under the impression that Bored to Death is the very basic C-G-Am-F progression, which is the same for Dammit and another million songs that are big hits for decades. Basically when in doubt and you need a catchy single go with the I–V–vi–IV sequence. I like the song but its a very basic structure with some catchy melodies which make the song. Its like when bands say "we could write the same album/songs again but we want to do something different," well Bored to Death is not anything new and different. Im not saying this is a bad thing, i like the song. But what i am saying is it seems like Tom is being a douche (again), i dont think they brought Feldman in to help write the real substance of any of the songs. Im sure the band "wrote" the songs and Feldman added ideas during the process and also for production to make the song sounds fuller. I think this is along the same line as when a person writes a screen play or book and someone does an initial reading and gives suggestions, tips, etc. If you wanna give that person credit as a writer i guess you can, but i personally dont think you have to (and listing someone as a "producer" i feel would cover it).

25. fredwordsmith

Trusted Supporter

Tom sounds like he wants to be there.