Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Next Nintendo Console Set for March 2017

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

The new Nintendo console is set for a March 2017 release.

Nintendo has been saying that the NX is a brand new thing. And rumor has it that the NX is going to replace both the Wii U and the 3DS. The console would come with a gamepad that you could use as a portable console when you’re not in front of your TV.

2. Jacob Davidson

Regular

Super bummed about the Zelda delay especially when that is the focus of the E3 conference and the NX isn't gonna be officially announced there.

3. tigereatsapple

The gamepad is always a poor decision because it complicates the capabilities of the actually system and what the game could actually do. The game becomes compromised with its design of graphics and controls. Its just not a good model. Plus they're going to push away those who are Nintendo faithful by completely dismissing their current system leaving a poor catalog of games.

4. tigereatsapple

Nintendo has disappointed most fans with the wii u experience and gaming catalog. How long have fans been waiting for this game? ...To long. But I'm glad they didn't rush it like the terrible Star fox game that was produced.

5. honkytonk Apr 27, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 27, 2016)
    honkytonk

Narcissism on narcotics

I was all about Nintendo when I was younger but as I've aged their offerings just haven't interested me. I feel like the gamepad is an annoying element that felt gimmicky, and I wish they worked harder on producing high-quality games instead of somewhat "goofy" titles for younger gamers.

Random thought, I'd love to see a free-world RPG Pokemon game with high-quality graphics. Controlling the Pokemon as they battle and all that, wouldn't even have to be turn based! And why no Fire Emblem or Earthbound for console?

OdeToTheSun likes this.
  6. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

I'll always still buy Nintendo console purely because of Pokemon.

7. jrock920

Regular

too bad they don't release an RPG on consoles but if they did i'll buy an NX

8. ZeoVGM

Regular

The "gamepad" is a rumor and would be nothing like the Wii U controller. The Wii U was a sales failure. They're not going to do the same thing here.

And "the game becomes compromised with its design of graphics and controls" doesn't even make much sense at all. Not sure what you're trying to say there.

None of that is true. First of all, they have no choice but to "dismiss their current system." It's dead. For a number of reasons, Wii U was a sales failure. And while 3DS had a nice life and was very successful, it's nearing the end as well.

And by the time NX releases next March, Wii U will be over four years old (and 3DS will be six years old). That's actually a very normal time frame between consoles. Last gen (360/PS3) was longer than most but there were only four years between Xbox and Xbox 360, for example.

Second of all, Nintendo fans were very happy with the majority of the Wii U catalog. Splatoon is one of the best games this gen and one of the best new IPs in years. It even topped Call of Duty and Destiny in the "Best Shooter" category at the Video Game Awards a few months ago. Not to mention Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2, Xenoblade, Mario 3D World, two great Zelda remasters, Mario Kart 8 (easily the best in the series), Smash Bros. 4, Mario Maker, etc.

Wii U sold poorly but it's a great system with an awesome lineup of games.

9. ZeoVGM

Regular

Well, if one of the rumors is true -- that the NX is the follow-up to both Wii U and 3DS, meaning they're combining their home console and handheld divisions -- you'll likely have a true HD Pokemon in a couple years.

(In the meantime, Sun and Moon hits the 3DS this fall.)

Penguin likes this.
  10. jrock920

Regular

pokemon game in unreal engine 4 would be spectacular

11. sammyboy516

Trusted Prestigious

Enough with the gimmicks, just release a regular console.

Frank Lapidus likes this.
  12. stefoske

He is right about compromise, having that gimmicky controller siphons power away from the main screen experience due to the extra processing requirements.

It then effects game design as they try to implement second screen as Nintendo wishes them too.

Why do I want to look away from the actual game to look at another screen?

Finally you end up with a mix of controllers as the Wii U can only support 1 Wii u pad, so it becomes irrelevant if you play with friends anyway.

13. stefoske

It is such a shame to me that Nintendo are making another home console.

I wish they would make a generation agreement with Sony as a trial.

Nintendo games on the PS4, and Sony scrap their failing handhelds and back Nintendo's new one with their software offerings.

Nintendo haven't had a successful home console in as long as I can remember, they sell less and less every generation usually, the only exception being the wii which was just dumb luck that its gimmick caught on.

14. K0ta

wrap yourself in petals for armor.

I just bought a 3DSXL...mostly for Pokemon. Nintendo has felt lackluster for years. I bought a Wii when it came out, and it did not get much use. Microsoft and Sony crushed the Wii U sales and this feels like another cheap attempt at Nintendo to fill some sort of niche that nobody wants filled.

15. zigbigwig

I Miss Jake W Prestigious

What's wrong with goofy? Gameplay is still tight as ever. Nintendo makes games that you can grow up with regardless of age.

Not sure what you mean by high quality; all their first party games have been on point.

Penguin likes this.
  16. zigbigwig

Reading this thread upsets me. It's like people have lost the ability to become kids at heart.

17. this sounds like it's capable of getting me back into gaming

electro haikus likes this.
  18. ZeoVGM

Regular

That is true but that wouldn't be the case here. The idea is that it's something you can bring with you like a handheld, without the need to run off the main system. That's the rumor at least.

You can use normal controllers for 2+ players.

19. ZeoVGM

Regular

Literally no logic to that. Wii U was a failure following one of the most successful consoles in history -- one that destroyed Sony's console in the same gen. One failure doesn't mean going third party. That's not how business works.

You can't write off Wii as an "exception" just because it ruins the point you're trying to make. "In as long as I can remember" is actually "the one before the current one." Hyperbole.

20. ZeoVGM

Regular

Pretty much. They have misfires like anyone does (the new Star Fox, for example) but Nintendo games are very much the Pixar of the video game world. Games like Splatoon and Mario Kart 8 pretty much transcend age groups because they're just that damn good and charming.

I'd rather play either of those than whatever the yearly Call of Duty is, to be honest. There's a place for both. Complaining about Nintendo's offerings being too "kiddy" just leads to more of same stuff. It's good to have options.

Penguin, Frank Lapidus and zigbigwig like this.
  21. zigbigwig

22. stefoske Apr 27, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 28, 2016)
    stefoske

I know how business works, and it seems you may not be clued into Nintendo's console business specifically, here are the numbers sold:

nes
    61 million
    snes
    49 million
    n64
    32.93 million
    gamecube
    21.74 million
    wii
    101.63 million
    Wii U
    12.80 million

Remove the Wii and you have a pattern, a clear one trending down, the PS Vita which is a failure for Sony has sold 13.7 million units.

You seemed to be unhappy about me ignoring the Wii's success, but what made it successful? is it reproducible? This is where I feel it isn't, as the Wii caught developers by surprise by being successful, it was the motion controllers - everyone wanted one for the gimmick and it went super mainstream for casuals, a market that Nintendo has said themselves was a mistake (here is them on the switch: Miyamoto Talks About Nintendo Shifting From Casual To Core Gamers).

Also you mention the PS3 being beaten, but that is Sony's exception at this point, they made a whole bunch of mistakes with that console and they just managed to edge ahead of the 360 at great cost to the company by the end of the generation.

They have the handheld market for h/w which is profitable, I am not suggesting leaving that behind, but they would make more money selling software to 82.3% of the console market than the 17.7% they have now, which would be 100% of the console market if they left the h/w completely, or over 70% if they make a deal with the leader Sony, which may be worth it for the extra 18% of the portable market Sony has.

What is illogical here? Nintendo have been losing money on consoles for years, like Sega did before they made their exit, the only difference is Nintendo has big financial reserves and a second market they are doing well in, which is portables. They are already moving away from their strict policy with IOS and Android games.

The market may not be there for them in the console space, what do they have this time that doesn't rely on luck that will take market share from Sony or MS? I cannot wait to find out what they think they have later this year, as even if it is poop, I guess I will buy it to have the better version of Zelda.

This is some of the background behind what I said, sorry if it was too long, I could talk for hours on this stuff. Do you still completely disagree and think it is hyperbole?

23. stefoske

If it is supposed to be more powerful than a Wii u then I do not think it can be portable, it would be too costly, have poor battery and goes against Nintendo's philosophy of using cheaper parts. If it is portable I'd imagine it would be a console and a separate handhold running on their apparent unified OS or family of devices they have been talking about. Unless by portable they mean like a gamecube which has a handle, haha.

For 2+ players, I am not sure if it is playing wii games or something that run on the system, but from my understanding we encountered that even though the games supported not having to use motion controls, we needed a bunch of wii controllers for it. I am pretty sure, but not 100%. I could swear I remember frustration over this as we just purchased pro controllers and they didn't work with them, but who knows.

24. Frank Lapidus

Regular Supporter

I would love to see Nintendo make a massive push to the mobile market and begin bringing games to iOS and Android. I think some older side scrolling games would have a huge appeal. I'm sure to them it's a last ditch effort, because they know it would net them large sums of cash and provide a new market, but I want them to do it as a bold next step, and not just a last ditch effort.

25. Guys Named Todd

Regular Prestigious

Some other honorable mentions that I loved were Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze, Captain Toad, Yoshi's Wooly World, and Kirby and the Rainbow Curse. The Wii U doesn't have the most expansive lineup, but what they do have some incredibly strong titles. Hell, with the right sale, the console is worth it for Smash Bros. and Mario Kart alone.

ZeoVGM and Penguin like this.