Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Simple Brilliance of Colleen Green’s Cover of Blink-182’s ‘Dude Ranch’

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Lindsay Zoladz, writing at The Ringer:

In her hands, the juvenile potty humor comes off less as a defining factor of the record than a defense mechanism, as if Hoppus and DeLonge have suddenly realized how emotionally raw some of these songs are and felt a nervous impulse to distract the listener with comic relief. Great covers help you see familiar source material from new angles. I used to think Dude Ranch was Blink’s most gleefully immature record. Now I hear it as their most vulnerable.

I enjoyed this article and look at this album. As I wrote in last week’s newsletter, these songs hold up surprisingly well in this setting.

2. RaginCajun

Better than you, sorry

this is an awful review. Blink 182 wrote the words, but since she sang it softly with less angst it is deeper and more "emotionally raw." No. No. No. No matter who sings "when I needed you most when I needed a friend. You let me down now like I let you down then" will always have the same impact. Blink didn't hit superstardom because of poor writing. They wrote well. Even Dammit is a story that everyone and their mothers can picture and quite possibly relate to. I'm not giving her so much credit for covering blink 182. I can't wait to cover Dookie, Mellon Collie and the infinite sadness, and Hybrid Theory!

AllenRicketts and palebluedot like this.
  3. Disagree completely. How someone sings or performs music has a massive change in the impact the song has. From hymns, to classical, to popular music, the who, and how, has always informed or even changed the impact a piece of music has.

If you can do it well, then go for it. I'd be willing to bet it doesn't have the same impact.

4. theredline

Trusted Supporter

Gave it a listen. It was almost too sparse for me. And just bass seemed...weird. Maybe I’ll have to spin it again...

5. MacbethSin

Regular

You GOTTA walk this back before I start throwing names out there

TJ Wells likes this.
  6. Bob Loblaw

Wubbalubbadubdub

I agree. One of my favorite instances is "I Will Always Love You." The difference between Dolly Parton and Whitney Houston is huge. The way that Whitney Houston sings it gives you chills every time she hits that high note.

7. "Hallelujah" and all its renditions is another good example. There's some baaaad versions and some versions that are off the charts good.

Zip It Chris and Bob Loblaw like this.
  8. Phil507

Resident NYC snob Supporter

For as much as Blink got tagged as "silly", the vast majority of their songs dealt with heartbreak, confusion, disappointment, worry, etc. They would throw in some humorous references to keep things light here and there but I think the dick jokes and other antics caused a lot of people to miss this.

AllenRicketts likes this.
  9. RaginCajun

Better than you, sorry

If you're someone that believes some indie musician can cover those albums better than the original... Then you sir are very unique.

AllenRicketts likes this.
  10. RaginCajun

Better than you, sorry

Yes throw out greats like Whitney Houston. Because this girl is definitely one of the greatest too.

Will not walk it back. Show me a cover by a no name that blows minds. I'll wait.

For people to say this artist turned a great album into magic is nonsense.

11. RaginCajun

Better than you, sorry

Dolly had a number one hit with that song. Whitney, one of the greatest of all time, also had a number one hit with that song. Blink had a hit with damnit. This person did a fine job but in no way should people even say it comes close to topping the original... Ever. Ever. Ever. Lol

12. Some follow ups:

1) Do you listen to any classical music?
    2) Which version of "Twist and Shout" do you think is the best? Do you really think it's the original? Really?

13. Jason Tate Aug 13, 2019
    (Last edited: Aug 13, 2019)
    Great cover songs, maybe even better than the originals, off the top of my head:

"All Along The Watchtower"
    "Because the Night"
    "Blue Suede Shoes"
    "Girls Just Want To Have Fun"
    "Hallelujah"
    "Hurt"
    "I Fought the Law"
    "Tainted Love"
    “Torn”

(Willing to bet most people don't even know some of the songs they love are covers. This idea that someone can't cover a song great is just not born out to be true in the history of music.)

14. Feel like someone didn't actually read the article.

15. RaginCajun

Better than you, sorry

Classical as in Beethoven, Bach, Chopin. Then yes.
    Classic music like 70s rock... occasionally.

This is where my argument will get more concise. Twist and shout was covered by the isle brothers. They had hits left and right and made that song a hit. It was a modest success prior.

What you guys are saying and what the review is saying is this unknown artist turned a potty filled album into brilliance. That's absolutely unequivocally incorrect.

Justin Bieber can take any of her original songs and make a hit...she cannot and did not with this blink cover album.

16. That’s not what it says at all.

(Also she’s not unknown.)

17. Then you’re aware that various people have covered/performed those pieces to different levels of success. Some good, some great. The original is not inherently better simply by time and date.

bradsonemanband likes this.
  18. RaginCajun

Better than you, sorry

agreed. when something is good or great, it's not too difficult to not butcher it. I'm going to search for a time a musician covered something not so good and made it great. I think that's a rarity.

19. It's not as rare as you'd think...

Someone could cover a song like "How You Remind Me" by Nickelback and potentially make it much better.

20. Bob Loblaw

Wubbalubbadubdub

Hurt may be one of the best covers of all time and I love the original too. But the cover gives the song a brand new life. Great examples.

21. AllenRicketts

Regular

I think it's possible. Jason's list of covers is pretty solid but in this particular instance it's definitely not better. I love Blink covers and got really excited at the prospect of a whole album and now that I've heard it I'm bummed. Just sparse and flat. It feels very pretentious.

22. Phil507

Resident NYC snob Supporter

Which "BEcause The Night" are you referring to? I feel for most people who came of age in 90's, the 10,000 Maniacs one will always be the best.

23. I prefer Patti Smith's version. But Bruce's take is very good as well.

It's been covered allooooottttt over the years.

24. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

Hold your horses, there. Don't you go tearing down the classics!

bradsonemanband likes this.
  25. No Doubt's 'It's My Life' is such a good cover that I tend to forget about the original

Bob Loblaw likes this.