Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Underoath – “Wake Me” Video

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

2. reachingfor

Regular Supporter

Kinda iffy on the song still but really love that video.

3. thechetearly

Regular

The Sigur Ros of hardcore turned into the Papa Roach of hardcore.

4. Jdfleming89

RIP ETID Supporter

Literally the worst song on the album. If only they stuck with the creativity, songwriting, sound of disambiguation. Now they are just cash grabbing sellouts.

Brent, thedrudo and AllenRicketts like this.
  5. Dust Of Fallen Rome

Regular

If I was in my mid/late-30s and trying to come back into the music scene 8 years apart from the last thing I did and saw how much the landscape has changed, I'd sell out quick smart if the opportunity even remotely presented itself to. These dudes probabaly have lives and mortgages and mouths to feed. Sad as it is, it's way smarter for them to try to be a Papa Roach for people that will actually give a shit if they are than a Sigur Ros for people who couldn't care less about them.

Being 'cool' and 'authentic' sadly pays no bills unless you're part of some lucky 0.1%, or have we forgotten that?

Also, I love the album. As a huge Underoath fan since age 14, it was a wonderful welcome back into the game for me - maybe not the one I initially wanted or expected, but awesome all the same.

disambigujason and reachingfor like this.
  6. AllenRicketts

Regular

I really hate this talking point. It's always posted when bands start to suck and like we know, dude. We know they have lives and mortgages. We all know why you "sell out," but that doesn't make it less disappointing.

Jeff fleming and koryoreo like this.
  7. Dust Of Fallen Rome

Regular

Does it though? I kind of just expect it will happen once a band's average age hits 30 and they aren't some super underground edgy band.

8. koryoreo

Trusted Supporter

A number of bands havent needed to sell out just to stay relevant so I don't really like that argument. For every Underoath, you have older bands like Thrice, Sum 41, Silverstein, NFG, Circa, Bayside, etc. that haven't had to water down their sound to try to maintain a career.

9. Jdfleming89

RIP ETID Supporter

I understand they have families, need money, etc... they generated soo much hype and money with the reunion tour, then touring with bring me, and they just changed up their mojo and released something different. There are some songs on their new album that I like, but erase me as a whole just doesn’t have lasting value like their other albums do (besides changing of times and before that). They know how to really push themselves and create something dark, creative, and cool. I just wish they did that more and scrapped songs like wake me. I have always loved darker, gritted underoath moments. I grew up listening to them from when chasing safety came out. They have the potential to write something that comes out of left field and slaps you in the face. I’m just waiting for it. Erase me was just a huge let down.

AllenRicketts likes this.
  10. Dust Of Fallen Rome Aug 10, 2019
    (Last edited: Aug 10, 2019)
    Dust Of Fallen Rome

Regular

Cool. I really don't care if you like that argument or not, just FYI. Bayside, Circa Survive and Silverstein haven't sounded exciting or noteworthy in over a decade now and probably won't ever again. NFG and Sum 41 are 40 year olds trying to tour with bands who could almost be their kids. And from what I heard, the most recent Thrice album was also a pretty radio rock-leaning record too.

So as I've said to everyone else here, go cry about it, sport.

11. koryoreo

Trusted Supporter

You mad bro? Lol I disagree with lots of that, but won't be a dick about it since you've already taken that road. Sounds like someone is a fanboy who can't take any criticism of his favorite band.

12. Dust Of Fallen Rome

Regular

LOL very far from my favourite band, kiddo. I just like arguing with dumbasses who get all sad and whiny because bands don't make the music they want them to anyway. But I suppose its par for the course on a music site that largely consists of mid/late-20s white men who still listen to music made by manchildren for impressionable kids. I guarantee none of your favourite bands would care if you still enjoyed them or not, mate.

13. koryoreo

Trusted Supporter

Lol

14. AllenRicketts

Regular

People who unironically use "kiddo" online should be imprisoned.

15. PureBlueSF

Regular Supporter

I'm just gonna stroll on through and say that while I did really like Erase Me as a whole, this was one of my least favorite songs on it. Video is cool though.

reachingfor likes this.
  16. rxbandit89

probably over-caffeinated. Supporter

Looks like the first level of Metal Gear Solid 5.