Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

A Wikipedia for Generation Z

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Taylor Lorenz, writing for The Atlantic:

If you want to know who the biggest TikTok star is right now, who is in Emma Chamberlain’s squad, or where Baby Ariel grew up, only one website will give you the answers: Famous Birthdays.

Despite its name, the site contains more than just birthdays—it’s more like a constantly updated, highly detailed map of who matters to the teen internet, featuring a mix of biographical information, photos, videos, rankings, and detailed statistics on every social-media star you could think of. And to teenagers, it’s a bible. “They have everything you want to know about everyone who is important,” says Grace, a 14-year-old in St. Louis.

Charles Porch, the head of global creative partnerships at Instagram, says that Famous Birthdays is like the younger generation’s Tiger Beat. “You might know about Famous Birthdays if you’re a parent,” Porch says. “But you definitely know about it if you’re a kid, and you definitely know about it if you’re a creator. Is it adult mainstream yet? No, but that doesn’t matter.” The site has 20 million unique visitors a month—more than a million more than Entertainment Weekly, and four times as many as Teen Vogue.

Well, reading this article gave me my daily “holy shit I’m starting to feel my age” moment.

2. Snoblin

Goblin Person Prestigious

I ended up on that site once and felt simultaneously gross myself and repulsed at the whole idea

3. ARo24

Regular

I had no idea haha. Interesting yet alarming this is what kids spend their time on.

4. Yellowcard2006

Trusted

I keep hearing about this "TikTok" but I don't know or understand what it is.

5. DerekIsAGooner

So assuming that this weekend...

I've seen this website come up a ton when my students do research projects. It's their main resource when researching Youtubers or social media influencers. This was great to get to read about it and understand its history and amount of credibility.