Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Inside “Emojigeddon”

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Charlie Warzel, writing for BuzzFeed News, with an oddly fascinating tale of trouble and political infighting at the Unicode Consortium (the people that get to define what gets to be an emoji or not):

The series of frustrated messages show a deepening rift between those who adhere to the organization’s original mission to code old and obscure and minority languages and those who are investing time and resources toward Unicode’s newer and most popular character sets: emojis, a quirky periodic table of ideograms and smiley faces that cover everything from bemused laughter to swirling, smiling piles of poop. The correspondence offers a peek behind the scenes of the peculiar and little-known organization that’s unexpectedly been tasked with building what some see as the first digital universal language.

Bring on stuffed flatbread!

2. nl5011 Apr 27, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 27, 2016)
    nl5011

Trusted Supporter

since language is just matching up the symbols we perceive with the vocalisations associated with the language being used, then you can see how emojis are cutting out the middle man of language.

The more visual our language evolves, the closer we get to working with only the symbols that our mind's manipulate into consciousness, sans the words we associate with these symbols that only end up muddling the communication intended initially.

While the people in this article are complaining that their company has lost its interest in preserving history, this is due to their involvement in the evolution of our language.

Now emojis and memes seem like a silly thing to call the next frontier of communication, and it's definitely in a preliminary stage, but it's no coincidence that they have already made a huge impact in our society.

3. heymattrick

Sending my love

I thought their article a week or so ago about the differences in emoji looks from iOS to Android and etc was far more interesting. Realizing that people interpret certain ones differently made me think of how often I use them and if I'm getting my point across. It's so hard to convey tone in text and email so I've found emojis are a way to be a little clearer, especially if you're joking about something sarcastically or if you're angry.

4. Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

“Everyone knows eggplant is an erection and people sext with the vegetables, but that does not make it a substitute for language.”

Hilarious. Especially if you read it with an angry, old, out of touch, man voice in mind.