Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

New TV Show ‘Sounds of the Underground’ Announced

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 23, 2019.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

CBS has announced a new show called Sounds of the Underground. You can watch the commercial here, and the full press release is below, but the band’s confirmed for the show so far include: August Burns Red, Badxchannels, Frank Iero, The Skints, Halifax (reunion set), Emarosa, Unwritten Law, Silent Planet, Craig Owens/Chiodos, and The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus.

Are you bummin hard that you missed out on the Warped Tour anniversary shows this summer? Well, Sounds of the Underground, a new punk music television show, might just cure what ails you.
    Sounds of the Underground is the first and only alternative music show focused on exposing up-and-coming artists while showcasing them alongside major artists and international talent. Developed by Johnny Zirkel, and airing on CBS, Sounds of the Underground is seeking to bring music to a starving audience once more.

Tired of typical music industry politics keeping bands from growing, Zirkel decided to develop the show as a way to give artists of all levels the opportunity to reach new fans based solely on talent and drive, and nothing else. With the decline of festivals focused around the genre, Zirkel hopes that Sounds will fill that gap to help artists and fans connect and build relationships with each other once again. The ‘underground’ scene is not dead, and they are here to make sure it stays alive.

Some acts appearing on Sounds of The Underground include:
    August Burns Red, Badxchannels, Frank Iero, The Skints, Halifax (reunion set), Emarosa, Unwritten Law, Silent Planet, Craig Owens/Chiodos, The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus.

The five episode series will begin airing on September 5 in select markets on CBS, with nationwide availability the following day on YouTube.

SCHEDULE:
    CBS Boston – September 5, 12, 19, 26 and October 3 at 1:37am EST
    CBS Los Angeles – September 5, 12, 19, 26 and October 3 at 2:05am PST
    CBS Chicago – September 6, 13, 20, 27 and October 4 at 1:42am CST
    CBS Minneapolis – September 6, 13, 20, 27 and October 4 at 1:37am CST
    CBS Sacramento – September 6, 13, 20, 27 and October 4 at 2:00am PST
    CBS Denver – September 6, 13, 20, 27 and October 4 at 1:44am MST
    CBS New York – September 6, 13, 20, 27 and October 4 at 2:07am EST

All episodes to be streaming on YouTube the following Saturday at 10am EST

Raku likes this.
  2. mikeb1124

Regular

Got some real heavy hitters there lol

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  3. Interestingggggggg

coleslawed and Raku like this.
  4. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

I think they meant to call this "Sounds of The Underground Circa 2005"

"Sounds of the Underground is the first and only alternative music show focused on exposing up-and-coming artists while showcasing them alongside major artists and international talent."

I'm curious where a lot of these bands that peaked in the mid-2000s or earlier fit in this description. They're not up-and-coming, not major artists (anymore), and most are U.S.-based.

But not to be a downer—I like some of those bands, so I'll give it a shot.

5. inagreendase Jul 23, 2019
    (Last edited: Jul 23, 2019)
    inagreendase

Who curated this?? Did they hire a pay-to-play promoter from 2005 that just woke up from a coma??

edit: guess it's this Johnny Zirkel guy

6. SundayDrive555

"CBS has announced"? More like some dude paid CBS some money for a shitty timeslot on some local affiliates.

7. vein.ftm

Trusted Prestigious

Strange

8. Arry

it was all a dream Prestigious

is it me or the audio sounds scuffed? lol like punkrockvids ripped and uploaded onto youtube

Frank Lapidus likes this.
  9. DandonTRJ

~~~ヾ(^∇^ Supporter

Everything about this is odd.

10. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

I will never see anything more random than this lol

11. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

I'd guess whoever curated this just picked favourite bands of theirs, or ones they have connections with, and either came up with the pitch before the bands were ever agreed, or needed to sell it that way to bosses who wouldn't know any better.

The only thing I'd say counter to a lot of the comments is that August Burns Red seems as relevant as they've ever been, which can't be said for the rest.

12. Matt Metzler

Space Cadet Prestigious

Halifax reunion set could be cool.

slickdtc and ramomcferno like this.
  13. ramomcferno Jul 23, 2019
    ramomcferno

Mystery is the secret ingredient Prestigious

Halifax reunion set? Interesting.

Edit: ^ Great Minds:thumbup:

I hope this succeeds, even though the bands for the first season might be a bit outdated. This could be great exposure for upcoming bands that deserve some spotlighting.

slickdtc likes this.
  14. Mibabalou

MUFC / NYRB Prestigious

what the fuckkkkkkk

15. AllenRicketts Jul 23, 2019
    AllenRicketts

Regular

So is Chiodos playing or just Craig? That would be interesting.

edit: I missed the commercial. It's just craig. Boooo.

16. BradBradley

Regular

“I’m Johnny Zirkel, and I wanna introduce you to Sounds of Being Thirty. Sounds of Being Thirty is the first and only show focused on bands that I liked back in 2006.”

17. slickdtc

Regular Supporter

Yo gimme that Halifax, I still love that band.

It’s a weird group to peg as up and coming, but it’s exposure for bands in this scene. I don’t know if traditional TV is where the people who are looking for new music are, so this will probably be gone quickly, but cool nonetheless.

ramomcferno and Jason Tate like this.
  18. KyleK

Yeah, it may have worked for the CW's Pepsi Smash in...2003, but I think it's fair to say times are different now.

slickdtc likes this.
  19. BradBradley

Regular

Sounds of the Underground and Dr. Pepper present: Band in a Bubble 2019

slickdtc likes this.
  20. ramomcferno

I loved that Pepsi Smash show.

21. kelseyleigh

Trusted Supporter

This is going to be on at 1 or 2am then going to YouTube. That barely makes it a real TV show.

22. Blake Solomon

Mr. Emeritus Prestigious

what

23. KyleK

Me too! Would record all of the episodes on VHS (because I'd be at baseball). It's what got me into Yellowcard.

ramomcferno likes this.
  24. ramomcferno

I taped them too! I was so stoked for the Yellowcard and Story of the Year performances!

I just went back to watch a couple of them on youtube and they still hold up. Good stuff.

25. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

It just made me think of this banger

Petit nain des Îles likes this.