Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The 1975 Start the Hype Machine

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 23, 2019.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

2. Phil507

Resident NYC snob Supporter

I'm curious to know if their management/promotions team just doesn't put as much effort into US radio since it seems like there were a few surefire singles. I am perplexed as to why "It's Not Living If It's Not With You" barely made a dent in the alt charts while MOR drivel from The Head And The Heart currently is #1 but is what it is.

Anyways, looking forward to round 2 of this massive double album cycle.

heymattrick likes this.
  3. ZeoVGM

Regular

MOR?

4. Phil507

Middle Of The Road (i.e. just plain and boring). That's not a knock on The Head And The Heart as they are pleasant enough, I'm just surprised they're the #1 song on the Alternative airplay char.t

5. zachmacD

Trusted

I've wondered about this. I hate to say it but I feel like if they didn't really breakthrough with these last two albums, that it isn't going to happen. I would love to be wrong though

And don't get me wrong, these guys are big. Bastille is one of the bigger alt rock bands and I doubt they could play a venue (amphitheater) as big as the one The 1975 is playing here (Philadelphia) in November. It just feels like they aren't getting the radio play they/others were expecting

6. macbethfan

Trusted Supporter

I mean, they've played main stage at Coachella twice now (and had a late set this last time) and they've played there three times overall. They just played the Veteran Memorial Coliseum here in Portland in April and the place was packed. I'd say they are quite successful despite not having huge singles on the radio here. They pop up on Apple Music playlists all the time as well.

zachmacD and Jason Tate like this.
  7. Wait, hasn't "It's Not Living (If It's...)" has spent weeks on the charts in the top 20?

"Give Yourself A Try" was top 20 rock, top 12 hot rock.

"Love it If We Made It" went top 10 rock, hot rock, and alternative.

"TooTime" went to 15 on hot rock.

"Sincerity" went top 20 on hot rock.

Five singles all getting to be one of the top 20 most played seems ... impressive.

8. Phil507

Yes, but they've yet to have a song crossover to the same levels that Bastille, Twenty One Pilots, Foster the People, Paramore, Fall Out Boy, Panic At The Disco, etc. Interestingly enough, they might not need it as a few people have noted since they already play larger venues than the likes of Bastille, The Head & The Heart, Fitz & The Tantrums and what not.

zachmacD and heymattrick like this.
  9. Yeah, they're a very, very big band. It's why radio charts aren't the end all metric for success they once were.

smowashere and AVanMill17 like this.
  10. zachmacD

Trusted

Thank you. My point exactly

I’ve also never heard any of their music on the radio besides altnation. When these guys came out, they/their fans acted like they were going to be the biggest band in the world

11. zachmacD

Trusted

Their numbers are definitely impressive. They just aren’t as big as I think a lot of people thought they would be.

12. They as in specifically just the radio numbers or they as in the band?

13. zachmacD

Trusted

I meant the band but I guess also the numbers? Tbh, I don’t check numbers.

My girlfriend is a casual music fan (she listens to pop radio and altnation) but loves twenty one pilots. She’s a pretty good indicator of how big a band is in the mainstream since she doesn’t go looking for new music like I do. She knew maybe one 1975 song when we met in 2016.

I guess my whole point is: I feel like these guys could’ve been on twenty one pilots level and at this point, idk if that’s going to happen.

14. I mean they’re massive and one of the bigger bands around these days so I dunno what to tell you. Comparing them to the biggest band isn’t a fair comparison when they’re in the top % for bands when it comes to plays and tours. Your girlfriend is one datapoint, but it’s counter to their actual popularity out there where they’re headlining gigantic venues and cranking up millions of streams and topping year end lists from major publications.

zachmacD likes this.
  15. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

If you’re talking about them having a massive crossover hit then maybe you’re right, but they don’t care about that and have the fan base to be able to not care about that

Also, they’re still on the early side of their career

smowashere likes this.
  16. Exactly. In terms of a mainstream “hit” .. sure .. but that Shaed song that just hit #1 one the alt charts and is moving up the pop charts still doesn’t put that band in the same category as what these guys are doing tour wise so it’s why I think it’s not as great a metric to compare. Looking at the top charts and most of those names aren’t headlining over The 1975 rn.

zachmacD likes this.

17. Those venues are tippy top level stuff.

18. zachmacD

Trusted

You’re right. I’m talking just about one datapoint. I guess it just blows my mind that I can go see a band play at an amphitheater and no one at work knows who they are.

Btw, I’m going to the Camden date on the tour

19. More music from The 1975 is all I need in my life.

jorbjorb likes this.
  20. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

The band and members have all wiped their social media accounts. Announcements are immanent

jorbjorb likes this.
  21. Phil507

Shaed's a new band so, yeah, they obviously aren't filling massive venues. I think their show here in NYC at Bowery (500 capacity) isn't even sold out. My larger point was that it's interesting the 1975 haven't had a surefire "hit" so to speak yet have been able to maintain being a pretty huge band. I think the fact that they toured HEAVILY in the US on these last two albums (more than most UK/European bands do) had a lot do to with it. I think the European bands are finally catching on to the fact that you can't treat the North American market the same way you do Europe and just play the 8-10 major cities. Heavy touring is likely why Muse, The 1975, Bastille, Coldplay, etc. have been able to be big here while other acts who can play soccer stadiums on the other side of the pond (Kasabian, Stereophonics, Kaiser Chiefs, Biffy Clyro) are stuck in clubs here.