Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Covasettes – It’s Always Sunny Above The Clouds

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

The Manchester-based indie rock band, The Covasettes come bursting onto the music scene with the brightly colored EP It’s Always Sunny Above the Clouds. With it’s Care Bear-styled cover art, I was initially unsure of what to expect from the band that I was introduced to. However, The Covasettes quickly won me over with the core influences of Arctic Monkeys, The Killers, and Coldplay that are felt warmly as they create a wonderful collection of songs. The four-piece band is comprised of lead vocalist/guitarist Chris Buxton, lead guitarist Matt Hewlett, bassist Jamie McIntyre, and drummer Matt Buckley, and their chemistry as a unit comes across undeniably on this record.

Led by the introductory track, “Twit Twoo” The Covasettes sing triumphantly on the chorus, “I would like to get to know you.” The two-sided meaning of speaking on a potentially fruitful relationship, as well as directly introducing themselves to a new listening audience, comes across cleverly. The single reminded me of the summery guitar-driven pop from Rooney’s debut record, and it’s just as professionally delivered here.

“You & I” follows the shimmering opener with some cohesive stylistic choices of song structure, and some excellent guitar solos courtesy of Hewlett. Lead vocalist Chris Buxton is more than capable of allowing the song to reach great pop heights, and this band will be one to watch as they continue to release new music.

“Let’s Go” rocks with the bravado of pub-rock bands such as Catfish and the Bottlemen, and features some great starts and stops to allow the hooks to meet their desired effect. Songs such as this one remind me of the warm feeling of discovering a new band that is on the cusp of becoming the next big thing. The Covasettes are a band that comes across as instantly likable, exude professional qualities about them in their songwriting, and come through the speakers as strongly as any of the groups in today’s ever-crowded indie rock scene.

Closing the EP with “Fine Lines” only further solidifies the fantastic musical chops of The Covasettes and the EP leaves the audience wanting even more from the band. Debuts such as It’s Always Sunny Above the Clouds are rarely so polished and ready to take in a broader audience, but that’s precisely what the Covasettes have accomplished on this nice collection of songs that are perfect for a quick summer drive down to the boardwalk. By making a four-track EP that is both cohesive and memorable, this band is poised for big things to follow their introduction to the world.