Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Mad Magazine to Effectively Shutter After 67 Years

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

The Hollywood Reporter:

Mad Magazine, the irreverent and highly influential satirical magazine that gave the world Alfred E. Neuman, will effectively cease publication some time later this year after 67 years, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed.

Sources tell THR that after issue 9, Mad will no longer be sold on newsstands and will only be available through comic book shops as well as mailed to subscribers. After issue 10, there will no longer be new content save for the end-of-year specials. Beginning with issue 11, the magazine will only feature previously published content — classic and best-of nostalgic fare — from its massive vault of material from the past 67 years. DC, however, will continue to publish Mad books and special collections.

2. Analog Drummer

Regular

There’s a fold joke in here somewhere

artbynickferran and Ska Senanake like this.
  3. Jason Tolpin

Trusted

Im kind of sad about this - not <that> sad, but still.....

I can understand print media going out of business (newspapers, magazines, etc...) as you get everything you need online.

But back in the 80s in high school... Mad Magazine subscription was <the> thing to get... Was it monthly then, perhaps...

How political it was... and satirizing everything. Nothing was sacred. Without thinking hard, I remember Spy vs Spy, Al Jaffee, and Alfred E Neumann (sp on all of those).

From cover to cover, I would read it as soon as I got it... Was there morse code hidden somewhere as well (spy vs spy?), and again - I just remember how political it was. It was the coolest magazine to read (besides Spin).

Kids today, afaik, do not read magazines like we did in the 80's (damn kids - get off my lawn!).

Brilliance. Thats what it was. So, yeah... kinda sad to hear this.