Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Silverstein – “Burn It Down”

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 26, 2019.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Silverstein have signed with UNFD and released the new single “Burn It Down” feat. Caleb Shomo.

Silverstein has signed with UNFD. With the signing announcement comes a brand-new song from the band, who will be celebrating 20 years together in 2020. Fans can now listen to “Burn It Down ft. Caleb Shomo” at this link: https://youtu.be/95fs2Mqr5Bw. The single will be available for streaming at midnight tonight.
    Caleb Shomo is the front-man for the Columbus Ohio, hardcore band, Beartooth. While both bands have performed live together a handful of times as Silvertooth, “Burn It Down” is the first recorded music they’ve collaborated on.

The new song is the first since 2017’s Dead Reflection, the band’s ninth studio album. On April 12, Silverstein released Redux: The First Ten Years, which featured newly recorded versions of selected songs from their first four studio albums.

“The song picks up right where Dead Reflection left off,” explains Silverstein vocalist Shane Told. “It has the catchiness and riffiness of that album, but production wise and vocally we took another progressive step in a direction we feel great about. It hits hard and tells a story but gets you straight to the point. It’s not messing around – direct and in your face. Once the bridge section music was completed, we could imagine Caleb’s voice working so perfectly over it – so we sent it to him and said “do your thing”. He sent it back and I just about fell over when I heard it.”

Longevity is a rare feat for any band, especially one rooted in a foundation of punk and hardcore. Aggressive music is often fueled by youthful fire, and sustaining a career without completely abandoning that urgent sound is almost impossible for most bands.

But what’s possible for “most bands” has never been a concern for post – hardcore pioneers Silverstein. Throughout the course of their almost 20-year career, from Ontario basement shows to touring the world and selling over a million records, Silverstein has always managed to be completely comfortable in their own skin while never being afraid to challenge themselves.

Silverstein will be recording their ninth studio album later this year, which will be released in 2020. The band is composed of Shane Told, Paul Koehler, Billy Hamilton, Paul Marc Rousseau and Josh Bradford.

Jared Luttrell likes this.
  2. Freezon

Regular

Such a great song. Excited for future music

Jared Luttrell and Kaduck like this.
  3. Kaduck

Regular

Good song! Wasn’t expecting them to release a new song anytime soon, but I’ll gladly take it. I might catch them in Chicago next week if I have nothing going on, which would be a treat since I haven’t seen them since Warped in like 2006 lol.

4. parkerxcore

Somebody's gonna miss us Supporter

They're awesome live I highly recommend going and I believe they're playing this new tune live.

Jared Luttrell, BoldType and Kaduck like this.
  5. koryoreo

Trusted Supporter

Defintely weird to see them on another label,but not surprised given the landscape of labels nowdays. Excited for another full length next year and this song rips!!

6. This song is so good.

7. parkerxcore

Victory, Hopeless, Rise, UNFD. Quite the list.

cosmickid likes this.
  8. SoCoWilderNeSs

Regular Supporter

I liked the song but this is the first time I can ever remember listening to a Silverstein song and feeling the thoughts creep in of, "This doesn't sound like Silverstein". Silverstein has been so consistent for so long that I still can't believe I have negative things to say about a new track of theirs.

I am a fan of and typically very supportive of the growth and evolution of bands musically and lyrically but the production on this is also the first time during a Silverstein track I thought to myself, "this is a bit overproduced".

9. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

chorus is fantastic, don't think caleb really adds anything to the song though, shane has a much better voice.

10. koryoreo

Trusted Supporter

Yeah Defintely sounds like Silverstein going the more rock direction which I personally dont enjoy but more power to them for trying something different even if I dont like it.

11. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

i liked the more straight forward direction of dead reflection bc i thought the vocal melodies and production were strong enough to carry the songs. i'd also grown a little tired of the signature silverstein riffing style; even though they're one of my favorite bands, i don't think they're particularly good riff writers so i was happy to see them toned down. i'd love a more experimental record from them but I'm happy with this sound too as long as shane keeps it catchy.

12. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

I agree with this completely. Good song, but if I didn't know it was Silverstein, you could have convinced me otherwise. That being said, I've realized that I like Silverstein songs that are at least 70% clean vocals (that's not a guess either—I counted words on songs lol), so it definitely hits my threshold there.

This still gets me excited about new music, but I am a tiny bit anxious.
    I agree. When Caleb started, it actually reminded me of Adam Lazzara a bit, and I was curious what vocal tone he was going to take. Now I actually want to hear Adam on this song lol.

13. parkerxcore

I completely agree.

disambigujason likes this.
  14. Jared Luttrell

Regular

Awesome.

15. parkerxcore

I'm getting heavy Before Their Eyes vibes on this song. Maybe it's just Shane's voice in the chorus?

16. daldalian

hopelessly yours, Alabama

Listening to Shane's podcast has really caused Silverstein to grow on me the last couple of years, especially Dead Reflection.

Shane's voice has the rare quality of actually improving over the course of his career and I hope they can keep up the good work.

17. surgerone

Regular Supporter

I wrote off Silverstein for a long time, but they've been on fire the last few albums. I'm definitely here for this