Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Frightened Rabbit Announce Tribute Album

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Frightened Rabbit will be releasing Tiny Changes: A Celebration of The Midnight Organ Fight, an album featuring covers of their songs, on July 12th. The full press release can be found below.

The album is up for pre-order and the renditions of “The Modern Leper” by both Julien Baker and Biffy Clyro are up for your listening pleasure.

Track Listing

1. The Modern Leper – Biffy Clyro
    2. I Feel Better – Oxford Collapse
    3. Good Arms vs Bad Arms – Fiskur
    4. Fast Blood – Right On Dynamite
    5. Old Old Fashioned – Josh Ritter
    6. The Twist – Wintersleep
    7. Bright Pink Bookmark – Peter Katis
    8. Head Rolls Off – Craig Finn
    9. My Backwards Walk – Katie Harkin & Sarah Silverman
    10. Keep Yourself Warm – Benjamin Gibbard
    11. Extrasupervery – Jeff Zeigler
    12. Poke – Daughter
    13. Floating In The Forth – The Twilight Sad
    14. Who’d You Kill Now – Aaron Dessner & Lauren Mayberry
    15. The Modern Leper – Julien Baker
    16. The Twist – Piano Bar Fight
    17. My Backwards Walk – Manchester Orchestra

To celebrate the 10 year anniversary/birthday of The Midnight Organ Fight we wanted to avoid the usual approach of just repressing the vinyl or rereleasing the same record with different artwork or putting out demos that were never meant to be heard by anyone other than the band and maybe our parents. We came up with the idea of asking some pals to record their own interpretations of the songs on the album. It felt like a good way to celebrate everyone who had been a part of the last ten years of the band and we didn’t have to do any work ourselves! Every single person on Tiny Changes has been a part of our lives and Frightened Rabbit in a special way over the last ten years. We’ve shared studios, vans, bars, dressing rooms and probably even underwear with some of these people and that’s why this record is so special to us.
    Scott was a vital part of bringing this album together and it’s something he was very excited about and worked hard to bring to life. He listened to and approved every track on there with us and he had already started preparing the artwork which you’ll see on there (if you buy it). This is a celebration of a record that connected thousands of people to Scott and connected thousands of people to each other and ten years on it is still managing to do it. Scott would probably have put in some joke here about when the album hits puberty and starts rebelling by smoking weed and getting things pierced. We’re not that funny so instead let’s just raise a glass, blow out the candles and make a wish.

We wish the album was available for pre-order tomorrow and that it will come out July 12th and you’ll be able to listen to two covers of Modern Leper straight away when you pre-order! Now we’ve told you it probably won’t come true but we’ll keep everything crossed for you.

Grant, Andy, Simon and Billy x

2. benschuyler

Regular Prestigious

Still so sad that Scott is gone. Definitely looking forward to the bittersweet emotions that will come listening to this.

Bad Bikes and serotonin like this.
  3. whyte39

Regular

Both covers released so far are great. Intrigued to give it a listen.

4. GageStillAlive

Still Alive Supply Co. Supporter

Love the Julien Baker cover, can't wait to hear Manchester Orchestra and Ben Gibbard.

5. karcrashianpanache

hysterical and useless

That Craig Finn cover is gonna be incredible.

6. serotonin

who told you this room exists? Supporter

It's weird that there's multiple covers of the same song on the same compilation. I have 100% faith that the Manchester Orchestra cover will be fantastic.

7. serotonin

For anyone ordering the vinyl in the U.S., it's still $10 cheaper ordering through Amazon UK than it is through the official store. $27 instead of $37.

karcrashianpanache likes this.
  8. Dave Diddy Jun 18, 2019
    (Last edited: Jun 18, 2019)
    Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

Yeah seems weird that The Twist, Modern Leper, and Backwards Walk we're all covered twice. They have plenty of good songs for everyone to pick a unique song.

Edit: I'm an idiot. I totally missed it was a 10th anniversary of Organ. Reading is hard.

9. Dog Fish

Mutt

I don't think it's too weird. Basically the side-d looks like 3 bonus tracks (julien, manchester and the other one).

10. serotonin

Yeah, I was just thinking about it, since you're covering the whole album and you have multiple great artists willing to cover the same tracks, why not fill up the album with a couple more great versions.

I reread the article and realized they stated Scott had listened over all these tracks, so this was planned for last year for the 10 year, I'm assuming. And that makes sense that Manchester was ready to go with that cover just three days after Scott's passing.

I was going to say I bet it felt incredibly hard for The Twilight Sad specifically, as they covered Floating in the Forth, which seemed so.. well, yeah. I looked them up and it looks like they have been covering Keep Yourself Warm live instead.

11. kpatrickwood

Give what you can.

Really excited they're releasing this on vinyl. The circumstances around this are never going to not hurt, but goddammit if stuff like this doesn't help a little bit. If anyone missed the tribute show with Ben Gibbard, Craig Finn, Julien Baker, Kevin Devine, and Aaron from The National- you can listen to the full thing here. Everyone doing Old Old Fashioned at the end is one of my favorite recordings ever.

serotonin and karcrashianpanache like this.
  12. Dog Fish

Mutt

I wonder if the artists would have approached their covers any differently following Scott's death, had it been recorded after.

13. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

I hope they end up having enough to fulfill Amazon pre-orders. The vinyl was sold out on the official site yesterday afternoon so I pre-ordered it through Amazon Canada, but I'm never confident when pre-ordering vinyl through Amazon.