Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Taylor Swift – “You Need to Calm Down”

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Melody Bot Jun 14, 2019
    (Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2019)
    Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

2. VCargo08 Jun 14, 2019
    (Last edited: Jun 14, 2019)
    VCargo08

The song in the video is actually "Battle", a leaked track from last year. This is also not Taylor's official account (300ish subs).

Actual song is here:

You can tell the difference because the one you linked is a good song that is pleasant to listen to. Not... this one.

Edit: In case I look crazy, it's been updated.

midtown1870 likes this.
  3. Zip It Chris

Be kind; everyone is on their own journey.

How can the person that wrote "All Too Well" be the same person that wrote...this?

Matt Metzler likes this.
  4. AsfAstAswegofar

Regular

I like the sentiment but god this is boring.

5. VCargo08

Agreed on all accounts, though I'm pretty skeptical of artists that have always been politically/socially neutral suddenly coming out with tracks or products like this when it's the most safe and financially beneficial time to do it.

Intentionally writing a "{insert demographic here} Anthem"(tm) is outputting as it is, so it's a little less great when the artist isn't a member of the community and has stayed mum on most social issues through pretty turbulent times.

6. RobJGolde

Wrecked 'em? Damn near killed 'em!

Pretty much nailed every thought that crossed my mind when I heard this. Like, I appreciate what she’s trying to say, but for someone who (as mentioned before) wrote a song like “All Too Well” and is pushing 30, you’d think she’d have something more insightful to say. Plus like you mentioned, she’s been pretty quiet on most social issues. With how big her reach is and her fanbase, if she had written a song like this 4 or 5 years ago or been more outspoken about social issues, she wouldn’t have lost any steam imo. Now it feels like a cash-grab.

7. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

Swift co-wrote that with Liz Rose. She co-wrote this song with Joel Little (who also co-wrote Me)

8. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

"Pushing 30" is a super irritating turn of phrase.

9. RobJGolde

Wrecked 'em? Damn near killed 'em!

Yeah i read that back, and realized that it does come off really weird/negative. I recently turned 30 and leading up to it I found myself saying it quite a bit, but I suppose it’s one thing to say it about myself as opposed to someone else. Sorry about that.

10. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

So we were mad when she was quiet...and by her own admission that was because she didn’t feel informed enough to influence such a large audience...and now she is putting in an effort, endorsing candidates, starting petitions, donating hundreds of thousands of dollars (so, not really a cash grab!)...and that’s bad because she used to be quiet. Is there actually any way for her to satisfy anyone?

11. Analog Drummer

Regular

Who’s mad at her?

12. heymattrick

Sending my love

Love that we’re at a place in 2019 where we’re still fighting for gay acceptance yet we’re bold enough to be skeptical of those actually on our side.

ECV, Jake W and personalmaps like this.
  13. theredline

Trusted Supporter

14. Zip It Chris

Be kind; everyone is on their own journey.

Interesting...Ruston Kelly sure did it justice...

15. DandonTRJ

~~~ヾ(^∇^ Supporter

I'm not weirded out by her supporting the LGBTQ community. I'm weirded out by her trying to connect her own persecution (verse 1) to that of the LGBTQ community (verse 2). Like, no, people writing mean tweets about you is nowhere near equivalent to right-wing protesters menacing pride parades, and while telling people to "calm down" is an appropriate recommendation for pop culture vultures, homophobes don't need to "just chill out." They are animated by far more insidious motivations and need to be treated with far greater urgency than shitposters. It's that flippancy and dissonance that makes it hard for me to get on board with this track.

VCargo08, RobJGolde and Brent like this.