Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Listening to Fall Out Boy on the Brink of Collapse

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

John Bazley, writing at Catapult:

We didn’t yet know exactly how the following year would work its fingernails into our neighborhood and pick it apart, but there was a palpable feeling of impending doom lingering over the roofs in my hometown.

All easy to ignore, of course, when Fall Out Boy would release a new record. I was twelve, living within my CD collection and the narratives it projected upon the world in front of me. I didn’t know about subprime mortgages or Lehman Brothers then. I just counted the days until Infinity On High. There was no other world event that could possibly take precedent over the release of that album. My excitement for Infinity On High may have been an unsustainable motivator, but sustainability itself was a questionable construct in 2007.

This is very well written.

2. Turkeylegz

Trusted

Wow! Thanks for sharing that! That mirrored my childhood so well and I can't help but feel a bit of sadness. The writer is fantastic!

ECV and Oskarr like this.
  3. BradBradley

Regular

It’s awesome how an album can transport you back to an era of your life. This album was my freshman year of college and the summer after. So many great memories. “Hum Hallelujah” is my favorite FOB song of all time, I am still firmly convinced that “The (After) Life of the Party” should’ve been released as a(n additional) single, and “I’ve Got All The Ringing...” is the absolute perfect closer to the album. Great article.

4. Oskarr

Needled 24/7

1. This is the most absolutepunk thing I've ever read :p

2. This writer is me. I used to play music over the phone to a friend. Like, "dude, are you hearing this? Okay let me rewind a bit - just listen to this one part - yeah, I'll put the phone against the speaker, hold on.

Did you hear that?!"

Good read.

sawhney[rusted]2, ECV and Turkeylegz like this.
  5. Hey i wrote this. Thank you Jason for sharing and thank you everyone for the nice comments!!!

6. Have you gone back to the album any time recently? Still enjoy it? I listened to it yesterday after reading this and it holds up for me. It's silly in the FOB way, but I still enjoyed it.

7. I’ve been listening a lot lately. It is certainly silly and there are a few parts that sound way more dated than others, but for the most part, I think it’s very well written and has so much character. Hum Hallelujah and GINASFS are some of the best pop-punk songs they ever wrote, and i love the baby steps into that pure pop-rock sound with Arms Race and Bang The Doldrums. I think of it as a transitional record between where they started and where the ended up, so I feel it gets forgotten sometimes, but yeah, I can listen to it today and still mostly enjoy it

8. Delysid

Regular

I enjoyed your writing, it really resonated with me. I feel this same loneliness often with my consumption of music as I’m sure everyone who frequents this site does. As much as I appreciate how different everyone is in the world there’s something specific about the shared experience of enjoying music. That feeling when something can mean so much to you and fall entirely flat on someone else that you care about is tough, and always felt too risky. I often find myself longing for that shared experience. Hey do they have “music compatibility” matchmaking apps yet?

Omni and ECV like this.
  9. vein.ftm

Trusted Prestigious

This was really beautiful

ECV likes this.
  10. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

I wasn't really into Infinity at all when it came out. The last year I've actually started to love it

11. I think Cymbal was a close as we've gotten to that and it shut down last year :(