Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

X-Men: Apocalypse Trailer

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

2. KimmyGibbler

Everywhere you look... Prestigious

These trailers aren't doing much for me. I think this series desperately needs a reboot.

3. carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

If I were a drinker, each of the Apocalypse trailers would be a perfect match for a generic dialogue drinking game.

4. Connor

we're all a bunch of weirdos on a quest to belong Prestigious

It's already been rebooted. And Days of Future Past was awesome

Jason Tate and bmir14 like this.
  5. CMilliken

Trusted

Didn't the last X-Men pretty much reboot the series?

J.Dick, Jason Tate and fenway89 like this.
  6. CMilliken

Trusted

I'm excited for this one. The last couple X-Men related movies have been great imo.

7. Frank Lapidus

Regular Supporter

I loved Days of Future Past. I guess I'm just a sucker for the older X-Men cast. And more Wolverine? Why not.

8. KimmyGibbler

It hasn't been rebooted. The timelines of the original three has been altered, but the franchise wasn't rebooted.

I am talking about a full-on reboot. No more Singer, no more Jackman.

9. KimmyGibbler

For the record, DOFP was pretty good. I just think it's time for some new, fresh blood to reinvigorate the series.

10. I'm with you on no more Singer. These action sequences look more like glamour shots. I didn't like Days Of Future Past myself

11. KimmyGibbler

DOFP was good, not really a good X-Men movie. It seems to exist solely to bring Cyclops and Jean Grey back to life for no apparent reason. It seems to nullify the Ratner movie but only nullify the Ratner movie.

12. I think the last two X-Men movies have been really solid. I've liked them quite a bit.

jellyfishfossil likes this.
  13. jellyfishfossil

Regular

It would really suck to be Magneto.

First he loses his parents in a concentration camp, then he spends 10 years locked away for trying to save Kennedy, and now his family is murdered (God Love, Man Kills comic will be in this movie?).

14. jellyfishfossil

Regular

So we can watch Magneto destros concentration camp fences for the third time? Singer had said that this is a conclusion to the "First Class" trilogy. Future films won't be a reboot but they will probably feel like it due to how the focus on characters will shift. The next films will more than likely focus on all of the new mutants.

15. jellyfishfossil

Regular

After the Old Man Logan film (2017) there will be no more Jackson.

16. KimmyGibbler

No, how about we put Magneto to bed for a while and have villains like Mr. Sinister and Proteus?

17. KimmyGibbler

I liked both of them too but I think they would have benefited by not being tethered to the first 3. I spent the first 10 minutes of DOFP wondering why Professor X was still alive.

18. jellyfishfossil

Regular

I never said anything about which villains they will focus on just that the people that the future movies will focus on will most likely be Storm, Cyclops, Jean, Nightcrawler, Jubilee, (maybe Quicksilver and Beast) and that we will more than likely see a decline in focus on Professor X, Magneto, and Mystique.

Bryan Cranston said he would like to play Mr. Sinister and that would be fantastic. I have a feeling the next film will be about Jean/Phoenix. There are rumors stating that and Singer stated that it will be hinted at in Apocalypse.

I’ve got to ask you about Jean Grey. In X2 you teased sort of building up to the Phoenix story but we never got to see you execute your version of that story, so now that Jean Grey is back on the board either in this movie or in the future do you have any desire to play out a Phoenix story of your own?

SINGER: The full Phoenix story, I have no idea. I would have to re-explore that. If it’s already been explored, to re-explore and retell it. Plus the Phoenix story in the comic book has the Shiar Empire and the moon.

Right and there’s the Celestials and space.

SINGER: With that you never know, but as far as the idea of that brewing within her, without giving anything away I would say absolutely that interests me and you may find a piece of that in this film.

Bryan Singer on X-Men: Apocalypse, Superhero Movies

19. Transient_Hymn

Somebody Turn the Neon Down Supporter

Singer has done some great things but I also feel like he doesn't truly understand the soul of the X-Men.
    He seems to identify well with Magneto, Jean, and Xavier but everyone else feels off to me.

I don't want everything to be MCU but I'd love for a balls to the wall 90's esque X-Men movie that doesn't pull any punches.

20. J.Dick

Regular

Keep dreaming because Fox isn't ever giving up the rights.
    Singer has done a great job with these movies for the most part. Remember that X Men basically started the current comic book movie craze along with Spider-Man. I loved that DOFP was basically a big "fuck you" to X3 and Wolverine Origins.

21. KimmyGibbler

A few thoughts:

I agree that Singer played a huge role in opening the doors for the current wave of superhero films. I will also give him credit for his top-notch casting. The issue, for me, has become the fact that he still seems to be a little shy about opening up the more fantastical and "comic-booky" parts of the X-Men universe. In the early 2000s, it made sense to keep things as grounded as possible because audiences weren't broken in to the genre yet.

But now with 6 movies (8 counting the Wolverine movies), we are finally getting a movie that pits the X-Men against someone other than Magneto & society. It even looks like we are finally getting a shot of the X-Men in their iconic costumes (though it does look like this happens at the tail end of the movie, with the rest of the movie depicting the team in the "Singer-style" black/military/tactical armor.

As far as the "fuck you" to X3. I think the biggest fuck you would have been to just start from scratch. By the time DOFP came out I barely remembered X3 (though I do remember Professor X dying in that movie and was mysteriously resurrected for DOFP). X3 didn't need to be retconned, it amounted to nothing. What did retconning X3 allow Singer to do?

Also, what's the end game here? Will the next X-Men movie take place in the 90s? Then the early 2000s? Then we get to present day and we have to recast the roles anyways because Ty Sheridan and Sophie Turner won't be able to pass as 50 year olds without looking ridiculous? Is this whole mess of continuity just to be able to have Hugh Jackman in the movies?

22. J.Dick

Regular

There is no end game. They will make these movies until they stop making money. The movies will be recast over and over again. Just like X Men comic continuity the movie continuity is a mess. I just enjoy the ride.