Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Tom DeLonge Talks With Rolling Stone

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Tom DeLonge sat down with Rolling Stone for a new interview:

I think Angels and Airwaves has always been a little bit ahead of its time. For a kid that grew up on a band like the Ramones like me, these are complex sounds and compositions. I remember that a lot of my fan base wasn’t totally ready for it, because they were still mourning over the fact that I wasn’t playing with Blink at the time. But I tend to realize that everything I’ve done in my life is about five years ahead of its time. It would make a lot of sense that people would revisit what I was doing now and say, “Oh, I kind of get it.” That tends to be the curve that I’m on with everything I do.

2. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

So by his thinking...we should have found out that aliens do exist in about 2004.

Ska Senanake likes this.
  3. defmytones

Regular

I didn't read the whole interview, but God I can't understand this guy. You're wrong Tom, and narcissistic to the fullest.

4. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

For everyone who wants Tom back in Blink, reading this excerpt shows you why it could never work full time with Mark, Travis, and Matt.

He sounds like one of those people who will never take ownership when things don’t work. And insulting the fans...seriously? Even if it’s truly how you feel, maybe word it differently or keep it to yourself.

I’m not going to bother reading more of this, but I hope it’s out context or he redeemed himself somehow instead of just sounding like and ass.

Jared Luttrell and macbethfan like this.
  5. MacbethSin

Regular

Yeah Tom, it's everyone else's fault the music isn't resonating. Your compositions are just too dang advanced for our simplistic punk rock brains! God this guy became so unlikeable

macbethfan and .K. like this.
  6. macbethfan Jun 4, 2019
    (Last edited: Jun 4, 2019)
    macbethfan

Trusted Supporter

Rebel Girl isn't even all that great of a song imo. I liked The Dream Walker a lot, but it was obvious that Ilan's input made it a step above other AVA releases as of late. Yes, Untitled was far ahead of its time (and it's still my one and only tattoo), but Mark and Travis also helped create that masterpiece and I know he's not referring to Blink here anyways. It's sad that Mark even had to clear the air about Tom's comments in the first place, and it shows how delusional he really is. Glad I didn't bother with tickets for the AVA tour because he's just not a person I want to support these days. Bummer.

Just look at the paragraph where he's asked about the last time he talked to Mark. There's three sentences about talking to them and the rest of the paragraph he goes off on tangents about AVA and his company. He makes it all about him. I just don't see how he fits in with the way that Blink communicates, in that all members are on the same page and are excited to go out and play shows and make music together. Matt looks like he's having the time of his life playing in Blink now, and I'm sure it's been great for him financially too. Everyone wins. Tom will always be distracted by his other dealings. Just look at what happened last time. They reunited for a few years, made a subpar album, played a ton of shows, and he bounced after making a ton of money... again.

I'll give his future music a listen, but I'm not giving him a dollar. :thumbdown:

.K. likes this.
  7. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

At most, bring him in to do guest vocals or play a live show. I don’t want to see current Blink disrupted.

SpinelessYesBloke likes this.
  8. benschuyler

Regular Prestigious

I gotta believe it would be fun to live in Tom's mind. Obviously an odd duck, but this dude thinks he's doing the most important things on earth. Wild.

9. Zach

Trusted Supporter

How exactly did he insult fans though? He said correctly that people were still dealing with him leaving blink at the time, and it was a pretty different sound. I don’t think he meant it as saying his fans were too dumb for it.

But yeah he most definitely thinks highly of himself

john343 likes this.
  10. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I think in applying he’s ahead of his time implies we haven’t caught up.

Usually you leave that compliment for other people to give to you and let them determine if it’s true. In this case, in Tom’s mind it was the best thing ever and we weren’t able to comprehend his greatness.

Yes, some people are still to this day obviously wishing he was in Blink. But, Airwaves is his 3rd big band thing though, and I feel a lot of people would rank it behind Blink and Boxcar Racer. That’s cause we are dumb though.

Jared Luttrell likes this.
  11. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I think in applying he’s ahead of his time implies we haven’t caught up.

Usually you leave that compliment for other people to give to you and let them determine if it’s true. In this case, in Tom’s mind it was the best thing ever and we weren’t able to comprehend his greatness.

Yes, some people are still to this day obviously wishing he was in Blink. But, Airwaves is his 3rd big band thing though, and I feel a lot of people would rank it behind Blink and Boxcar Racer. That’s cause we are dumb though.

12. Ska Senanake

Trusted

He is permanently on an acid trip i do believe.

13. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I wonder if there is some regret and jealousy at this point. Tom could have done Blink and AvA and split his time if Blink still mattered to him.

Matt also has Trio, Mark has Simple Creatures now, and Travis seems to play on multiple projects. Plus these guys do lots of other stuff.

I guess we’ll find out in 5 years.

14. billyboatman

Hopelessly Hopeful

I don’t like Tom

15. kiguel182

Regular

Is Tom implying he is singing better now?

Not that he ever knew how to sing but he somehow got worse.

16. Jared Luttrell

Regular

pretty obvious he's narcissistic as hell and thinks he's gods gift to music. Pretty obvious why Blink couldn't make things work with him.

billyboatman and .K. like this.
  17. Stevie

Regular

The Enema Of The State anniversary got me feeling all nostalgic and for a minute thinking it would be a great time to get Tom back... Then you get served an excellent reminder like this of how much of a dip stick he is!