Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

iTunes Being Split Up Into Three Apps

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Today was Apple’s WWDC keynote, and it was jam packed with stuff, but the most relevant to this website is probably the breakup of iTunes into new separate Podcasts, TV, and Music apps. The Verge has a good rundown:

The update will come with macOS 10.15. The shift makes sense, and has already taken place on iOS. Apple Podcasts, for example, has been on iPhones and iPads for years, but never made its way over to macOS devices. iTunes itself is a relic of a different era in which people bought all their music and movies in one place, and it’s felt neglected and outdated for quite some time.

It’s been a long time coming; I’m looking forward to the new Apple Music app.

2. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Will everything in our current iTunes/Apple Music automatically transfer?

I spent most of the 2000s ripping hundreds of albums onto my iTunes (both on my computer and then ultimately uploaded onto my iPhones).

I have Spotify, but I pretty much only use Spotify for newer music and when I feel like listening to older stuff, I just use my iPhone's library.

3. Mister Lyrical

Forging Clarity Supporter

Was anything stated about iTunes being retired on Windows?

Davjs likes this.
  4. heymattrick

Pool Boy at the Vampire Mansion

Very much looking forward to a new Music app. iTunes has become so cumbersome

5. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

Dark mode finally

6. SuperCoolFool

I have to tell you something....I eat lightbulbs

finally an excuse for me to switch to foobar2000

Raku likes this.
  7. Darth Amory

Sith Lord.

Yeah I use iTunes on Windows to keep my iPhone updated (I still do hard data for files, I dont stream to conserve data usage for watching YouTube, etc.) Im assuming the program will just stop working with apple music and such or maybe theyll update it to just "Music" or something?

Davjs likes this.
  8. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

I remember getting my first iPod Shuffle in 2005 and being impressed with iTunes. It really was revolutionary for MP3.

RIP

BEsterley likes this.
  9. Phil507

Resident NYC snob Supporter

"Apple will continue to operate iTunes Music Store in the Finder on Mac, and the company tells Billboard the iTunes app will continue to exist on Windows."

Apple Announces New Apple Music App, Replacing iTunes

I had the same question so...I guess? Imagine it just won't be supported that well. Sidebar but, as a Windows user, I feel like iTunes has to be updated every other day or so.

beachdude, heymattrick and Davjs like this.
  10. cosmickid

Composer, but never composed.

Every time I open iTunes to go to Apple Music I'm amazed that I have to open iTunes to go to Apple Music, so this is a long time coming and much anticipated for me.

11. I'm honestly glad that they're not discontinuing iTunes yet on Windows, I've tried a variety of mp3 library software and I kept coming back to iTunes. Obviously, it has major problems, but I get worried thinking about updating the app. Most times when I update iTunes, I lose an astronomical chunk of metadata and spend the next week fixing my library. I know that iTunes is probably doing a terrible job of maintaining that metadata, but when I don't update everything seems to be fine.

12. DesolateEarth

Birb

Still use iTunes for my large mp3 library, but it's cool that people who use apple music will have a better option.

Davjs and BEsterley like this.
  13. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

Yea I’ve never had an issue with iTunes, from any standpoint really, but can’t complain with this. Would love for Apple Music to stop randomly splitting up albums into 2+ though.

bobsheiskawy, Davjs, Essie and 2 others like this.
  14. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

So I’m not the only one.

15. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

Referring to the splitting? God it’s infuriating. Over the past couple iOS updates too the recently added album art doesn’t show up. There are several little bugs that just won’t go away.

16. stahlneckr

Newbie Supporter

I only use iTunes to manage my pretty large library (never bought anything from apple). I've never really been a fan but also never found a good alternative anyone have anything they like?

17. Not sure if this is what you're talking about, but if your records in iTunes split into two copies of the same record, with most of the tracks in one and one track in the other, changing the album title of one (like, deleting a letter) and then changing it back always works for me. The split album becomes whole again.

I tried winamp and mediamonkey and didn't like either. foobar2000 is a good media player but isn't meant for libraries.

18. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

I use Apple Music. I haven’t used the iTunes app on my computer since last October. Starting two weeks ago some albums that I downloaded from Apple Music have been splitting.

19. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

an album i added from apple music split like a month after i added it, and changing the album artist in iTunes fixed it. but then the other day it happened again on apple music but its still correct on iTunes. an EP by the same band also split on the same day.

20. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Lol yeah the splitting is super annoying, changing the titles fixed it but it’s crazy that happens even with stuff added from Apple Music

21. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

So am I understanding it right that not much will change for Windows? I have a 50gb iTunes library on my old laptop that I still constantly update and sync with my phone and I would love to not lose that

anonimito, Davjs and DesolateEarth like this.
  22. pbueddi

Trusted

I still use iTunes to add music to my library and manage my ipods.

Davjs likes this.
  23. theredline

Trusted Supporter

Even if you did use Apple vs Windows you wouldn’t “lose” it. It just transfers to the new Music app/program on the computer. I’m not quite sure why everyone is worried they’re gonna lose stuff. Your music is yours. Especially if it’s mp3s you own and store on your computer. But yeah, if you’re Windows it’s not changing. At least not yet!

tdlyon, disambigujason and anonimito like this.
  24. theredline

Trusted Supporter

25. Davjs

Trusted

Are they still going to support podcasts? I don't stream when I listen, I download through iTunes and sync them onto my phone to listen.

awakeohsleeper and pbueddi like this.