Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Brave Explosions of Charly Bliss

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 10, 2019.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Charly Bliss talked with Stereogum about their new album:

“I went through a long period of time where I felt I was the reason that we weren’t progressing, because we weren’t playing with any bands that had women in them. I was like, ‘Oh, everything I’m singing about is wrong, my voice is wrong, my voice is hyper-feminine,’ she says. “I felt it was so not what everyone else was doing. We would play with these all dude bands, like every show we would play would be like us, four white dudes, five white dudes, six white dudes, and then like me. Then I think lyrically, too, I write from a very feminine perspective and I’m not at all ashamed of that, but when I first started with our band I felt really ashamed of that. I was like, ‘Maybe I am the problem.’”

Don’t sleep on this album.

2. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

Yeah please don’t hit snooze for this one people

3. somethingwitty

Trusted

Has an early-Metric vibe going on, not bad. The comments about her touring with all dudes, ummmm isn’t her band all white dudes?

4. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

The comments seem to be about 1) realizing that her femininity is not a weakness or a detriment to her and 2) realizing that touring with all men contributed to that feeling of inferiority and moving past it. There's also a difference between touring with trusted men you are friends with and people in other bands that make you feel like shit, trust me.