Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Ten Songs on New Blink-182 Album

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

jorbjorb likes this.
  2. Former Planets

Aaaachem!

...and then 40 more on the deluxe edition 6 months later

Raku, SlappinCups, delvec19 and 7 others like this.
  3. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

hopefully no joke tracks

4. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

It only took two comments before me to cover what I was going to say. I hope that’s not true.

Brent likes this.
  5. MightyBrian

This is where I am suppose to write something cool Prestigious

I'm happy for any new blink, but I really miss the days where albums were 12-14 songs. It felt more fulfilling.

David Parke, Brent and .K. like this.
  6. Bayside 182

Wolverine Supporter

Looking forward to it. I hope it's better than California. I didn't love or hate that album but rarely listen to it.

Brent likes this.
  7. oneeightytwo

Regular

More excuse to release those extra 2-4 songs as a deluxe edition later on.

8. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

California Deluxe was way more than 2 songs which was cool. It was like a whole second album.

With Mark releasing Simple Creatures, and what with be an albums worth of material when both EP’s are out, I figured we’d lots of Blink songs coming too. I figured 12-13 songs, so there is room to play and be extra creative on a few. I don’t get why they talked about having so many songs wrote then. I think was Travis who pushed for so many songs to make California. Guess he lost this time.

9. I swear there’s a contingent of Blink fans that just like to complain.

10. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Sounds good to me.

Hoping for a focused, thoughtful record that I can sing along to.

David Parke and Jason Tate like this.
  11. Ben Lee

I drink coffee and dad my kids Supporter

I thought going into a record with like 20-30 songs was a good thing? Then ya narrow it down to the strongest?

BradBradley likes this.
  12. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

If saying I enjoy their music and I would like more than 10 of those 40 songs they wrote then I think that’s a very positive complaint (or hope) for a fan to have. It’d be comparable to wishing a band had a longer set because they are having so much fun watching them play live.

There is a difference between good or positive complaints and negative complaints.

13. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Album lengths used to be limited by a physical medium. If you could only fit 10-12 songs on the vinyl, make them count.

It’s sort of like how all TV shows used to be around 42 minutes so advertisers and, intros, bumpers and stuff could stay on schedule so the next show started on the hour or half hour.

Now, with the advent of digital paid subscription channels, episode lengths very depending requirements of the story. You can have and 70 min episode or a 52 minute episode. The rules have changed.

Albums can do that now too. They don’t have to cram in as much content as possible, but I would guess out of 30 songs, skilled and seasoned bands/artists create a higher song quality that 1/3rd because if a song wasn’t working they would have abandoned it earlier.

Maybe out of the 30 songs, only 10 worked together. If it was a specific decision for the sake of the art, then that’s fine and we’ll know when it comes out. If they do 10 just to meet a deadline or costs, that’s a bummer. I personally loved the volume of songs from California and deluxe, and really only skip the joke songs, even though I like the music in them.

14. AMC

Regular

Back in the day a blink comment section would be 5 pages long in 1 day...

Raku and David Parke like this.
  15. And there’s a complete other group that just spent two years complaining about “filler” and rushing it and not picking the best songs for an album as a whole. No one is ever happy.

BTDandFeelingThis and macbethfan like this.
  16. Now, thankfully, all the conversations happen in the band thread where we have the same six conversations on a rotating basis.

17. skurt

Sleekest of beaks. So Good.

Some of my favourite albums only have 10 tracks. Give me 10 quality tracks over an album that has 16-18 with over half of it being filler.

18. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah, I don’t get those people in the digital age. My least favourite song could be your favourite song. I didn’t feel it was rushed, or they added filler (except joke songs). I do think adding a new member changes the dynamic, as well as working with new producers and techs.

You are absolutely right though, in band as big as Blink, people can be collectively hard to please. It’s even harder for bands who change or evolve their sound on a more regular basis.

I also personally don’t want that group of fans influencing the band too much. Album sales were good for this record, it was well received, and lots of long term fans enjoyed it. They seemed to like the record too when it came out.

19. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

If a band only writes 10 good tracks, put on the 10 good tracks. If you write 11 good tracks, and 1 doesn’t fit, then release it as a b-side or back in the day put it on a compilation.

If you write 14 good songs that work together, I can handle 14 good songs. Sometimes it’s nice to have an epic adventure kind of record that can bring you through a range of emotions a la Gang of Youth “Go Farther In Lightness”. Sometimes not.

20. AWasteOfATime

@awasteofatime Supporter

California would have kicked a ton of ass if it were just ten songs imo

21. 44DeLonge

Ten songs from a bad blink-182 cover band! hell yeah!!

Raku likes this.
  22. Daniel182

Let's hold our breath until we disappear

This is how I’ve felt about every release since Scott left the band to be honest...

hongfong00, BTDandFeelingThis and .K. like this.
  23. DooDooBird

Trusted

lololol

BTDandFeelingThis and zachmacD like this.
  24. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Maybe it’ll be 10 6 second joke songs

David Parke likes this.
  25. BradBradley

Regular

I would just like to state that Go Farther In Lightness is an absolutely tremendous album.

AutopilotYears, 44DeLonge and .K. like this.