Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Nortre-Dame Cathedral on Fire

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

The New York Times:

Notre-Dame cathedral, the iconic symbol of the beauty and history of Paris, was scarred by an extensive fire on Monday evening that caused part of its delicate spire to collapse, bruised the Parisian skies with smoke and further disheartened a city already back on its heels after weeks of violent protests.

The cause of the fire was not immediately known, said André Finot, a spokesman for the cathedral, and officials added that no one had been killed or wounded in the blaze. But even three hours after the fire began, the authorities were still scrambling to contain it — and warned that they were not certain they would be able to.

2. MrAirplane

Trusted

apparently it's weaker now and the front towers are safe. one firefighter seriously injured

4. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

All of the artifacts are safe (Crown of Thorns, piece of the cross and a nail from the cross)

5. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I’ve been there before. Beautiful building. Most important thing though is preservation of life. I hope the fire fighters are ok. Hopefully this was fluke thing and not done intentionally.

beachdude and joey-wan kenobi like this.
  6. joey-wan kenobi

Happiness is a warm gun mama

This news through me off my game today. Also me right now ... *reluctantly gets Thursday stuck in his head*

7. And it is in fact going to rain, rain down over there

[​IMG]

SuNDaYSTaR likes this.
  8. joey-wan kenobi

Happiness is a warm gun mama

Well.... that’s coincidence at its finest

9. MrSark

On doit jouer à domicile comme à la maison.

Such a shame, so much bad going on in that city at the moment. But seems like that a couple of French billionaires already pledged 300 million € for the reconstruction efforts. Hope they get to rebuild it to it's old spleandour.

10. jorbjorb

7 rings

Such a shame that I never got to see that building.

11. Ska Senanake

Trusted

Well you might be pleased to learn that ALL the treasure artifacts were saved, the roof that burned was mostly built in the 19th century, and the entire structure is in tact. Not to mention a French billionaire has donated 1 million euros to repair the cathedral. The spire burning and one of the stain glass windows shattering is the biggest damage from what i've heard, but as sad as that is, it seems like a best case scenario given the situation. I think you (and i) will still be able to visit someday :)