Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

‘Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker’ Teaser Trailer

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

2. Jonathan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Verified

I'm just going to say it: including Palpatine at this point just feels lazy. I hope I'm proven wrong.

macbethfan likes this.
  3. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

"A thousand generations live in you now" is such a great line, & Rey back flipping w/ the lightsaber is such a cool visual.

That red Kylo sequence also looks super cool.

Lando & Chewie in the Falcon is obvious in a good way. Glad to see that happen.

Leia will be interesting...

Love how the blue "Star Wars" looks.

That Emperor laugh at the end... Just not sure what to think about that. So many directions that could go. Revisiting the "chosen one" prophesy & Plageus could be cool. But, I'd rather the final fight be just Rey vs Kylo, w/out any other Darths or whatever present. I'm still happy Rian unceremoniously killed off Snoke, who was the least interesting thing about Force Awakens.

4. macbethfan

Trusted Supporter

I’m cautiously optimistic about this one. Gotta agree on the Palpatine thing though. I’m over all of that and I hope this final one isn’t just a bunch of fan service to apologize for TLJ (which I thought was good despite the fact it rocked the boat a bit much). Visuals look gorgeous, and I just just hope the story holds up.

Chase Tremaine likes this.
  5. CMilliken

Trusted

Can’t wait for this!! Looks great. I need to rewatch the series soon. It’s been too long.

Chase Tremaine likes this.
  6. I'm with you on the fan service element... everyone is hoping they'll retcon TLJ and that just makes no sense to me. Better to keep moving forward.

macbethfan likes this.
  7. AshlandATeam

Trusted

Counterpoint: NOT involving Palpatine at this point would be lazy.

Episodes 7 and 8 have revisited/updated/included nearly every major player from ROTJ: Luke, Leia, Han, Chewie, R2, 3PO, Yoda. We know Lando is in 9 already.

That leaves Palpatine and Anakin. Given the title, we’ll almost definitely have a force ghost Anakin show up in some form (to rebuke Kylo? Which pushes him further from the light?). And that leaves Palpatine, who could either be part of the force or just still alive; Maul has established that a fall like he took isn’t nearly as fatal as one might seem.

The horse is out of the barn. At this point, I think to leave those two out would be extremely uncharacteristic of what these movies have been about - bridging a new generation of Star Wars stories to the old one. I just don’t think you can say, ‘we’ll bring these nine main characters along, but those two are too far.’ It’s all connected, and those are loose ends that need wrapped up, if we’re in the wrapping up loose end business. And these movies are definitely that.

8. currytheword

Trusted

It's absolutely amazing how every TLJ defender on here is directly going for the Palpatine twist. One laugh, and the Johnson Javelins are airborn with hate on including old characters or them being misused.

I'll tell you what was lazy. Leia being hit with an explosion and floating out into space at a retired age and near death, just to subconsciously float herself back inside and survive. You're cool with the force doing that but not keeping Palpatine around? C'mon. So many people are not allowing themselves to even remotely divulge in excitement for this movie because of their sourness towards Rian being removed.

9. Jonathan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Verified

I wasn’t a fan of LTJ or the Palpatine reveal.

LightWithoutHeat likes this.
  10. Jonathan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Verified

You left one detail out. All those characters were alive at the end of the original trilogy (except Yoda, who showed up as ghost.) To bring in Palpatine this late into the new trilogy, esp after we saw him thrown down the Death Star feels like total fan service and frankly, unbelievable, unless he shows up as a force ghost to Kylo. You’re telling me that he’s been alive and well this whole time hiding in the shadows?

One of the few things I liked about TLJ is that it did away with the fan service stuff. It was ok for Force Awakens, but I’m glad Rian made a point to show Rey is a new family (although a piece of me hoped she was a descendent of Kenobi.)

As I said, I hope I’m proven wrong.

11. AshlandATeam Apr 14, 2019
    (Last edited: Apr 14, 2019)
    AshlandATeam

Trusted

Why on earth would you assume Palpatine is alive? I’m not. I’m absolutely assuming Palpatine exists in the same way that Yoda does. Anakin also.

Also, a weird thing about fan service: you’re a fan and are real unhappy with this. This is extremely divisive, obviously. Personally, I wouldn’t call it fan service as much as, ‘these characters exist in this story.’ Episodes 1-9 are one story. Of course the characters who existed in episodes 1-6 should show up, assuming there’s a mechanism for it that makes sense. And ‘force ghost with a vested interest in how this light/dark war ends’ is absolutely a mechanism that doesn’t just make sense, but is almost demanded. This is Anakin’s grandson, who’s shown that with very little training, he’s more powerful than Snoke (or at least powerful enough to murder him) - both Palpatine and Anakin desperately want him on their side.

This is the logical end of this story, I think.

12. Jonathan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Verified

Go read the comments sections on YouTube, CBM, SHH, etc. Even respected folks from Collider were theorizing that. You’re not the only person who has opinions. They showed remnants of the Death Star. This doesn’t need to be an argument. :heart:

13. Connor

we're all a bunch of weirdos on a quest to belong Prestigious

Johnson wasn’t removed from this. He was never going to direct the 3rd episode. Colin Trevorrow was gonna do it.

coleslawed and Jonathan like this.
  14. currytheword

Trusted

He was set to, and I believe was actually in the process of writing Episode 9, but then was removed from the position. Disney stated it was not because of TLJ, but because he was being put on his own Star Wars trilogy. Abrams was then brought in as Co-Writer and Director after Trevorrow was out.

15. Connor

we're all a bunch of weirdos on a quest to belong Prestigious

If you can find me a source for that I’d appreciate it cause i can’t find any info for that anywhere. From what i understand hewas set to write it but never direct it. JJ was always set for 7. Johnson was set to write and direct 8 and write 9 with Colin Trevorrow directing. Once they fired Trevorrow and hired JJ to finish it off is when he stepped away from writing it to focus on his own trilogy.

16. Jonathan Apr 14, 2019
    (Last edited: Apr 14, 2019)
    Jonathan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Verified

They announced Rian and Colin as directors at the same time. I don’t remember hearing ANYTHING about Johnson writing anything past episode 8.

EDIT: 'Star Wars: Episode VIII' Sets Director

However it looks like that was incorrect. From wiki (with sources):

“In August 2015, Colin Trevorrow was announced as the director of the film;[21]he was to write the script with frequent collaborator Derek Connolly.[21][22]In April 2017, Johnson stated that he was not involved in writing the film.”

coleslawed likes this.
  17. currytheword

Trusted

Set to write it is all I meant. Never direct.

18. Dust Of Fallen Rome

Regular

Eh, it's a sequel Star Wars film. You get what you get.

19. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Rian Johnson was reportedly hired to write a story treatment at the same time that he was hired for Last Jedi, a year and a half before Force Awakens came out, a year before this one even had its first director. When Colin Trevorrow was hired, four months before Force Awakens, he was also hired to write w/ Derek Connolly.

In April 2017, Johnson confirmed he wasn't involved in writing this one. In August 2017, Jack Thorne was hired to help Trevorrow write the film. In September 2017, Trevorrow was fired, reportedly because he couldn't come up w/ a worthwhile script, & J.J. Abrams was hired w/ co-writer Chris Terrio that same month. It was another few months before Johnson's Last Jedi came out. And, it was November 2017 when Johnson was hired to develop his own separate series of Star Wars films (which, the last I heard, hadn't been abandoned yet).

Probably shouldn't have wasted the time with this, but the idea that Johnson was removed from anything is inaccurate & lame. It's possible to just not like what Last Jedi was (I personally love it but get why it ain't for everyone), w/out creating some nonsense about Johnson.

DrAlanGrant, coleslawed, Serh and 2 others like this.
  20. This is just embarrassing at this point.

21. Jonathan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Verified

Most of my qualms with the movie just dealt with the humor they used and some of the story pacing, and even those were minor. Luke drinking the alien milk reminded me of JarJar stepping in poop. Cheap, unimaginative jokes, but I’m probably in the minority here, that’s fine. I ADORE Kelly Marie Tran’s character, and whenever someone says they hate her I know I can’t take anything they say seriously. She was one of my favorite parts of TLJ. Even with the issues I had, I still bought the movie as soon as it hit iTunes, and I still find it better than anything in the prequels.

22. currytheword Apr 15, 2019
    (Last edited: Apr 15, 2019)
    currytheword

Trusted

Stop trying to be belittling to me. Especially when you’re not even parts of certain conversations and just interject to be condescending. The amount of time you and your followers spent trying to rectify TLJ as some amazing piece of cinematic work is embarrassing. The possibility that Rian may or may not have started writing being the only thing I might be wrong on is embarrassing? Get over yourself already.

CSWAPPO and Dust Of Fallen Rome like this.
  23. Jonathan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Verified

[​IMG]

Dust Of Fallen Rome likes this.
  24. Dust Of Fallen Rome

Regular

I think this site is literally the only place I have ever found people willing to go to bat for TLJ. Is it a matter of principal or did it really change this many lives with the alien milk-drinking and Leia force-flying?

currytheword and Jonathan like this.
  25. AshlandATeam

Trusted

Have you talked to people in real life about this? Because I've spoken to dozens of people in actual conversation about the Last Jedi, and nearly everyone loved it. It isn't a perfect movie; what you brought up are weak moments in the film. But the comments on internet message boards aren't the same as the general public.

Also keep in mind this is a movie that has a 91% on RT and made $1.3 billion at the box office. This site is absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of the people who loved this movie.

coleslawed and Jason Tate like this.