Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Real Friends – “Scared to Be Alone”

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

2. jorbjorb

7 rings

ick :(

3. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

I like these guys but this wasn't very good.

4. btr

Trusted Supporter

Kyle wrote this song while Dan wrote "Colder Quicker" and it's pretty obvious. Not bad, though.

Eric likes this.
  5. Honeymagnolia

Regular Supporter

Much prefer the other song. This one just isn't catchy and to my untrained ears sounds like the vocals are buried.

6. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

I think this is probably one of the strongest songs they've ever written.

7. I really like the new album

SoundInTheSignals and CMilliken like this.
  8. Saephon

Regular

Surprised to see poor reception. I like this MUCH more than Colder, Quicker. It shows signs of a maturing pop punk sound reminiscent of later The Starting Line and The Wonder Years. Can't wait for the album.

9. simplejack

I wish I could say something but silence is fine.

it'll maybe sound better in the context of the album. not feelin' it right now. not fond of the other single either.

10. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

I get major TSL vibes from this.

11. the whole album reminds me of TSL and early TWY

Christian Romero likes this.
  12. I'm excited to hear the rest then. I've always wanted to like Real Friends, they seem like really cool dudes. But their music has always been just okay

Anticitizen7 likes this.
  13. Lyrics are on this are shit per usual Kyle Fasel "poetry" but the instrumental is very strong, probably the best instrumental this band has penned to date. The chorus is not catchy except for the very first line "I want to carry you..." you can tell Dan is really struggling to turn Kyle's nonsense into songs. It's so clear that Dan wrote "Colder Quicker," the lyrics on that song are so much stronger.

I am so sick of Kyle's lyrics if it's not evident haha

Jason Tate likes this.
  14. Any idea how many songs/which songs were written by Dan besides "Colder Quicker?"

15. CMilliken

Trusted

This makes me excited. I already like this band so my expectations keep getting bigger for this album.

16. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

I read somewhere (I think a post on this site somewhere) that Dan wrote 4 songs on the album aka not nearly enough.

17. CMilliken

Trusted

During their twitch streams hey said I he wrote 4 or 5 I think.

18. Eric

Regular

Dan should definitely write more. Kyle's lyrics always feel like they're trying too hard and never seem to flow too well

Jason Tate likes this.
  19. Jacob Davidson

Regular

Have they ever given a reason why Kyle is writing most of the lyrics? His lyrics aren't very good but the band itself has a ton of promise as evident by pretty much every cover of songs by better lyricists ( i.e. their This Wild Life cover)

20. Eric

Regular

I don't think they've ever said but I would guess he was the only one who was comfortable writing at first then they just stuck with it. He also does super cringey spoken word so he probably thought he was the best person to write lyrics

21. Anticitizen7

Please be kind. Like actually kind though.

I agree entirely.

22. As weird as this sounds, Kyle's lyrics are the reason they're as big as they are. They take the complexity out of sadness and offer this sort of instant-gratification sadboi schtick and people eat it up. Just read the YouTube comments on any of their videos.

23. Gonna recommend against this. Ever. Even if they are more poetic than this band's lyrics.

Hahaha.

Eric likes this.
  24. Zoshchenko

Trusted Supporter

A couple parts of the first verse reminded me heavily of Jeremy McKinnon.

25. SoundInTheSignals

@Bake_Wear / soundinthesignals.com

Pretty good. Both songs released so far have been more of what I hoped the debut would sound like in terms of overall songwriting and a little bit of a step up in production. If the remainder of the album is as good I'll be happy a listener.