Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

DC Comics Celebrates Batman’s 80th Anniversary

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Apr 1, 2019.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

DC Comics hosted a Batman panel at WonderCon on Friday, March 29th to celebrate the character turning 80. The panel was moderated by Sam Humphries, and the panelists included Greg Capullo, Peter Tomasi, Joëlle Jones, Becky Cloonan, Scott Snyder, and Tom King. They shared their experiences with the character and even had a couple of big announcements.

The first announcement was the changing of the Detective Comics logo. The second was a new comic from Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo, Batman: Last Knight on Earth. The panel gave attendees a sneak peek at some of Capullo’s artwork on the title and its safe to say that I’m excited for this one. While I’m not entirely caught up on the work that the two have done since New 52, I’ve seen enough to know that I’m in for the long haul with both creators.

[​IMG]

While discussing their first experiences with Batman, Joëlle Jones commented on how people are just born knowing who Batman is. After taking a moment to think about that, I honestly couldn’t tell you when I first heard about Batman. He was just always around. I didn’t get into comics heavily until about 2015. Since then, I’ve spent hours pouring over pages of Batman comics, but I knew who he was way before that. I can’t pinpoint when. So that comment stuck with me, as I’m sure it stuck with many others because it really does seem true.

Batman: The Long Halloween remains one of my favorite comics that I’ve read, and it’s safe to say that Batman is one of my favorite comic book characters. Many writers have taken on the character in different ways, and while not every story might be a hit, there are a lot that are worth diving into. Thankfully, one of the libraries nearby has a substantial stock of Batman comics; otherwise, my room might be overflowing with them.

I’m not fully caught up on Tom King’s run on Batman, but it’s exciting to know that he has a plan for 100 issues, even if he admittedly did not have as precise of a presentation as Scott Snyder did when they pitched DC their ideas. It was fantastic to see the camaraderie that the writers have since they’ve both been working on Batman stories that are unique and compelling.

Even though Bruce Wayne comes from old money and has a ton of resources at his disposal, it’s the loss that makes him relatable. He takes that loss and uses his alter ego, Batman, as a force for good. He might not always make the best decision, but there are much worse things he could be doing with the amount of money and power that he has. And we all know that the DC world doesn’t need another Lex Luthor in it. One is more than enough.

If you want to celebrate Batman’s 80th anniversary, here are some of the comics I’d recommend checking out.

Most of these selections are jumping on points or great standalone graphic novels. If you haven’t had a chance to dive into Batman comics before, hopefully you find something you can enjoy.

2. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

The Long Halloween is one of my favorite comics. Nice write-up.

3. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Thank you! It's definitely top 3 for me out of all of the comics I've read so far.

4. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

80 years later and Tom King is currently writing the best run the character has ever had.

Detective Comics 1000 was great.

Deanna likes this.
  5. Tim Apr 1, 2019
    (Last edited: Apr 1, 2019)
    Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Always great seeing comic book content on the front page. Everyone, I know comics are intimidating, but they're also wonderful. To anyone hungry for more comics talk, check out the comic book thread in the forums; we love people of all levels of comics knowledge/experience!

I'm not as much of a Batman fan as most people. When it comes to DC, I prefer Superman & Batgirl. But, with how many great creators love Batman, & how wide a range of stories you can tell with him... I don't think you can be a fan of superhero comics & not love at least some Batman story. Such a deep body of work.

Some of what I personally love:

Batman: Year One by Frank Miller & David Mazzucchelli
    - New Frontier, All Star Superman, & this are easily my three favorite comics DC has ever published. Mazzucchelli's art is so fantastic in this story. Essential reading.

Batman (Rebirth) by Tom King & various artists
    - Deanna already included vol. 1 of this run in her list of recs. But, legit, this is my favorite longer run on the character I've ever spent time with. Really speaks to my thoughts on superheroes, comics, Batman himself, & in a way, life in general.

Batman & Robin by Grant Morrison & Frank Quitely, & other artists not as good as Frank Quitely
    - Dick Grayson as Batman. Damian Wayne as Robin. Fantastic art. Story gets pretty dark, yet still somehow captures the imagination & silliness of Silver Age comics. No one can make Adam West's Batman & Frank Miller's Batman feel like the same character as well as Morrison can, though Tom King gets close. After Batman & Robin, also check out Batman Incorporated, which way too briefly told stories where Bruce & Dick were both Batman at the same time.

Batman: Year 100 by Paul Pope
    - Cool alternative version of the mythos as envisioned by Paul Pope, who's a stellar cartoonist. If you like comics as an art form, definitely seek this out.

Batman Noir: The Dark Knight Strikes Again by Frank Miller
    [Note: This was written during Miller's descent into being a gross, reactionary old man. I remember at least one homophobic gag off the top of my head. It's not QUITE as bad as his later Islamophobic mess "Holy Terror" (as if that's an accomplishment), but proceed at your own risk.]
    - The original release was infamously colored by Lynn Varley with gosh awful digital colors, instead of the great watercolors she used on Dark Knight Returns. Also, Miller's art had evolved from Ronin/Dark Knight Returns precision into what almost resembles crude cave paintings. Also, the story is a bit of a mess. So... Why the heck am I recommending this? Well, as my note hints at, I'm not necessarily "recommending" it. You need particular tastes to appreciate it, & even then, you have to decide if this is something you wanna give money towards (pirating & buying secondhand are one's best option, imo). That being said, even the original colored version is a fascinating piece of superhero media. And, in this "Batman Noir" version (where they rerelease stories in crisp black & white on high quality pages), Miller's bizarre, crude-yet-kinda-expert illustration really pops. The whole thing is such a gonzo look at vintage superhero storytelling. Like, at one point, when Batman's plan comes to fruition, he just randomly has a friggin' cup of tea in his hand, & the Flash is randomly behind him reading a TV Guide w/ glasses on. Before that, there's like 10 pages dedicated to splash pages of Superman & Wonder Woman's passionate embrace. The Question tells Green Arrow that Ayn Rand didn't go far enough. I... Um... I just... have to take every opportunity to vent about how ridiculous it is that this comic exists. And, most people don't, wouldn't, & shouldn't like it, but I... love it? Sorry not sorry.

Batman: Snow by J.H. Williams III, Dan Curtis Johnson, & Seth Fisher
    - I... couldn't end my post w/ a tl;dr post about Miller's senile mess that I like more than I should. So, I'll leave off w/ this underappreciated gem of a story. Really fun tone, supported by some dope art by the late Seth Fisher.

Deanna likes this.
  6. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

@Tim All excellent suggestions, as well! I hope to sneak more comic book articles onto the front page. :bats:

Kingjohn_654 and Tim like this.
  7. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

I just realized I credited Jason w/ the recs instead of you in my post, lol. My bad. Gonna edit that. It was clearly you who wrote this, I can tell even w/out seeing your name, but I'm just used to front page comics stuff being from him.

Anyways, yeah, I hope you're able to keep getting comics content rolling here. Occasionally reviewing good standalone graphic novels/collections (newly released, on anniversaries, or in relation to news in movies/television/games) might be a cool strategy? As a way to appeal to new & longtime readers alike.

(Pardon the unsolicited suggestion, lol. I just think a lot about the best strategies to get more people to try comics.)

Deanna likes this.
  8. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

All good! I’m 100% open to post suggestions, so feel free to suggest away haha. I think I’m going to start organizing post ideas in a spreadsheet so I can get myself on a better schedule and determine what will go where (Chorus, WTG newsletter, other sites). Doing the Spidey site was fun, but way too much work. I did miss writing about comics though these past few months. I’ve only sparingly reviewed some Star Wars stuff.

Tim likes this.
  9. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

There's only one Snyder I want touching Batman, and it's definitely Scott.

Tim and Deanna like this.
  10. juliatom543

Thanks for sharing us, I will read it soon.

Deanna likes this.