Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

I the Mighty – “Cave In”

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Mar 29, 2019.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

I the Mighty have shared the new song “Cave In.”

Alternative rock band I the Mighty are thrilled to share their brand new single, “Cave In.” The track is an explosive, emotionally wrought landscape of sound that invites the listener into the darkest recesses of frontman Brent Walsh’s memories of witnessing substance abuse in loved ones.
    “‘Cave In’ is a song that people close to me have been pushing me to write for the better portion of my career. I think I’ve put it off because it can be easier to bury things than to face them, but I know that the song’s content is something that a vast amount of people can relate to,” shares lead vocalist Walsh. “Experiencing substance abuse among close family, especially as a child, is something that I and many others will carry with them for life. My hope is that ‘Cave In’ can be as cathartic for people to listen to and sing along to, as it was for me to write.”

Since the band’s inception in 2008, I the Mighty have come to be recognized as one of the most progressive voices in alternative rock. Over the course of the past decade, the band has built a cult-like international following largely through their explosive live show – which has seen the band touring with such notable acts as Coheed & Cambria, Say Anything and Glassjaw, slots at England’s Download Festival and Reading & Leeds festival, and a 2017 national headline run that culminated in back-to-back sold out shows in Los Angeles.

I the Mighty have released four full-lengths and an equal number of EPs to date. Their most recent effort was the critically-beloved Where the Mind Wants to Go / Where You Let it Go full-length, which came out in October of 2017 on Equal Vision Records. Though the band has exhibited incredible growth with each release in the past, Where the Mind Wants to Go / Where You Let it Go represented a particularly bold step forward in the band’s creative journey. Musically, the album is bolstered by the intricate layerings of guitarwork from Walsh and Ian Pedigo, coupled with the fierce rhythms of Chris Hinkley on bass and Blake Dahlinger on drums. The diverse deliveries of vocals are further highlighted with exceptional framing of impressive multi-layered harmonies and dramatic yet balanced instrumentations.

The acclaimed album is a collection of eleven artistically mature, meticulously crafted rock anthems that sees Walsh, tackling the topics that have shaped his own personal growth since the release of their last album; both in terms of life experience and in regards to more abstract topics. The lead single, “Chaos In Motion,” premiered world-wide on BBC1 Radio Rock and also featured the ultimate “unsatisfying” video that was picked up by Viral Thread where it amassed over a million plays in 24 hours. “Chaos In Motion” opened the band to a new demographic of fans that have eagerly sought out the rest of their catalog and seem to have joined the ranks of the band’s already large and dedicated following.

“Cave In” continues I the Mighty’s standard of maintaining disarming honesty lyrically, coupled with expansive instrumentals that elevate the song from emotional to heartrending. It’s a fluid movement from the sound of Where the Mind Wants to Go / Where You Let it Go that promises a future of even more growth and complexity from the band. For a group whose goal is to continuously evolve and leave their mark on the music scene by creating a sound and identity all their own, I the Mighty is unquestionably up to the task.

Tour Dates

4/1 – New Orleans, LA @ The Parish @ House of Blues
    4/2 – Tallahassee, FL @ The Wilbury
    4/3 – Tampa, FL @ The Orpheum
    4/4 – Fort Lauderdale, FL @ Culture Room
    4/5 – Jacksonville, FL @ Mavericks Live
    4/6 – Charlotte, NC @ The Underground
    4/7 – Nashville, TN @ The Cowan
    4/9 – Richmond, VA @ The Broadberry
    4/10 – Baltimore, MD @ Baltimore Soundstage
    4/11 – New York, NY @ Gramercy Theatre
    4/12 – Asbury Park, NJ @ House of Independents
    4/13 – Worcester, MA @ The Palladium
    4/14 – New Haven, CT @ Toad’s Place
    4/15 – Rochester, NY @ Montage Music Hall
    4/17 – Grand Rapids, MI @ The Pyramid Scheme
    4/18 – Newport, KY @ The Southgate House Revival
    4/19 – Indianapolis, IN @ The Citadel
    4/20 – Bloomington, IL @ The Castle Theatre
    4/22 – Boulder, CO @ Fox Theatre
    4/23 – Salt Lake City, UT @ In The Venue
    4/25 – Berkeley, CA @ Cornerstone Berkeley
    4/26 – Santa Cruz, CA @ The Catalyst
    4/27 – Santa Ana, CA @ The Observatory
    4/28 – Los Angeles, CA @ Teragram Ballroom
    4/30 – Las Vegas, NV @ Fremont Country Club
    5/1 – Tucson, AZ @ 191 Toole
    5/2 – Albuquerque, NM @ Launchpad
    5/4 – San Antonio, TX @ Paper Tiger
    5/5 – Dallas, TX @ House of Blues
    6/29-6/30 – Atlantic City, NJ @ Vans Warped Tour 25 Years
    7/20-7/21 – Mountain View, CA @ Vans Warped Tour 25 Years

2. defmytones

Regular

Love these guys and Brent is a great dude. But, song is way too safe for them. Did very little for me on first couple listens. Also I’m confused by the whole press statement, is this just to re introduce them and this one off?

3. Bayside 182

Wolverine Supporter

Really enjoy their previous stuff but this song is a bit boring for my taste. I thoroughly enjoyed their last album so I hope this is not how most of the new material will sound.

slickdtc and defmytones like this.
  4. I haven't figured it out yet, but I think this is a new song on an upcoming re-release/deluxe edition of Where the Mind Wants To Go.

5. bloodinthesand

Regular

This song rules

Chase Tremaine likes this.
  6. Helloelloallo

Trusted Supporter

I thought this at first too but I've found a lot more depth and a lot more to like on repeat listens.

7. Bayside 182

Wolverine Supporter

I need to hear it some more, I just heard it twice. Hopefully it grows on me.