Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Third Anniversary of Chorus.fm

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Apr 1, 2019.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Today marks the official third anniversary of launching this website.

This year was another great one for the community. There were quite a few new features added to the website, and we saw good growth in pretty much every metric that matters to me. One of my goals for the year was to start writing a whole lot more, and that morphed into a weekly newsletter that is now regularly over 1,500 words a week. I didn’t podcast nearly as much as I wanted to, but the episodes we did release I’m really proud of. My goals for 2019 are to try and figure out a way to make regular podcasting a thing I can do again, continue my weekly Liner Notes, add some new features to the forums that have been on my to-do list for a while now, and start re-thinking what a redesign of the main website could look like and what it would take to write that code and implement it.

I’m able to do these things because of the support of so many of you. I can’t thank those of you have become supporting members of the website enough. That this number, specifically, keeps increasing is why I know I can keep doing this website for another year. It’s because of your support that this website can exist and I can work on it each day. If you’re not a supporting member yet but enjoy visiting and reading, I’d love if you’d think about signing up. We’re getting so very close to this being the only job I have to have, and I’m getting excited thinking about the possibility of diving into a significant code re-write and re-design and not having to worry about needing to stop and take a freelance job in the middle.

I always find it fun to look back on the past year and evaluate everything that has taken place, over the past twelve months we’ve seen:

• 3,684 new articles posted on the main site. (13,086 total)
    • 1,912,545 words have been published all time.1
    • 802,906 new forum posts were made. (2,700,066 total)
    • 11,381 new registered accounts. (93,338 total)
    • 1,367,965 likes given out since last April.

I just wanted to take a moment to thank everyone that visits this website each day. It’s been an incredible journey from AbsolutePunk.net to Chorus.fm and beyond. I feel extremely lucky that I get to do something I love and care about each day and it’s a true pleasure to be able to talk about music, pop-culture, entertainment, and technology with so many of you.

1. 1,053,621 written by me.

2. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

You're welcome, everybody.

3. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

:cheers:

supernovagirl, underoath and Borat like this.
  4. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Yay!!!

underoath likes this.
  5. Congrats @Jason Tate ! Maybe we'll have Chorus stickers one day or merch of some sort? :)

6. K0ta

wrap yourself in petals for armor.

[​IMG]

Happy 3 years!

underoath, St. Nate and Jason Tate like this.
  7. Stickers do actually exist!

I was only able to send them out to supporters so far though, since the shipping and payment and all that was/is a pain in the ass to do.

I am actually looking into an actual merch store of some kind in the next few weeks. I wanted to do it myself but that is such a big project I think I'm going to look into an external store finally.

Omni, underoath, coleslawed and 7 others like this.
  8. TerrancePryor

https://mp3sandnpcs.com/ Prestigious

Three more years!

underoath, thrilliam and Jason Tate like this.
  9. Oh snap! That's rad. My membership sign-up has been long over due. I need to get on that today.

A merch store would be awesome! I'm sure you have plenty of connections on that front. But if you're looking for a lo-fi option. One of my clients uses Printful for their merch store efforts and they like it because they don't have to bother with the ins and outs of managing inventory and whatnot. Printful: On-Demand Print & Embroidery Fulfillment and Warehousing Services

Either way stoked for another 3+ years of Chorus!

underoath and Jason Tate like this.
  10. Yeah, that's one of the options I was/am looking at as well. I actually have half a store built with it and WooCoommerce on some dev branch on my computer, but I just couldn't find the time to finish it with everything else I needed to do. I'm looking at possibly doing something with Threadless in the meantime, we'll see.

Some Chorus and maybe throwback AP.net logo merch would be a whole lot of fun.

11. Snowisfun

Newbie Supporter

Thank you for everything!

12. Threadless is a good option too. Good throwback cross branding there too. I think I got a Taking Back Sunday design from them way back when.

I think whatever you decide to do will be really cool and authentic to Chorus. :clap:

13. contra11mundum

I hate spoilers. Supporter

I’m waiting on that iron on patch

14. Let me check if I have any more. I bought one for my backpack and I may have had to buy them in like fives and if so I may have one in the closet.

image.jpg

Update: I do have some. They have Velcro on the back however and are sized to fit the GoRuck patch size. Message me if interested. Color on the photo is a little washed but it does have the three color gradient on it.

underoath and contra11mundum like this.
  15. Wynuride

Newbie Supporter

Loyal follower since the AP days (2005/06 timeframe), read the site multiple times a day. I became a supporter this year, and am very happy to support what I view as the best musical content out there. Great year!

16. summertimejesus

Birds and Guitar

Wooooo! Been around since the AP days as well (though I took a bit of a hiatus) and decided to become a supporter a few months ago. This is one of my favorite sites & online communities and I'm looking forward to what this year will bring!

17. Borat 2: Vengeance

The Pitbull of Chorus.fm Prestigious

I made my account on AP when I was 13 years old (I'm 23 now). Wild. I'm glad Chorus has so much less drama than AP. When I get a job I will become a supporter.

18. surgerone

Regular Supporter

@Jason Tate on the podcast interview with The Maine you said you don’t need Chorus to be everyone’s favorite site, but you hoped it would be a core group of users’ favorite daily site (loosely paraphrasing, haha). I immediately thought of how important AP.net and Chorus have been and continue to be for me, and it’s clear you have a group of people who believe in this thing. Cheers to three years :beer:

19. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

The day that Chorus officially launched, I was house-sitting for my brother, in a house he's since moved out of. I still remember having walked to Sheetz for food (don't remember what I had from there) & renting that awful Jem & the Holograms film from Redbox. I had that dumb-but-weirdly-fun-in-the-moment film on in the background, in his basement "man cave," eating whatever Sheetz MTO I had, on my laptop, loving all the positive energy on this site. Such good vibes that first day, y'all.

(Wonder how many times I've shared my overly passionate Spider-Man opinions on here since then...)

20. thrilliam

thank you for all the hard work, @Jason Tate! i've been visiting regularly since the beginning! love all the content posted and being apart of the community!

21. contra11mundum

This is my most visited site by far

22. kelseyleigh

Trusted Supporter

This site is my daily visit while eating my lunch at work. Cheers to three years!

23. Former Planets

Aaaachem!

I’ve been lurking and/or posting on here since around 2004. My how time flies.

24. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

I've been on AP/this site for half my life how odd

25. contra11mundum

I discovered AP looking for Anberlin b-sides in the b-sides forum. I honestly don’t remember what year. Probably around 2005-2007 at some point

underoath, coleslawed and Jason Tate like this.