Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

MySpace Says It Lost Years of User-Uploaded Music

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Shannon Van Sant, writing at NPR:

MySpace — the once-dominant social media platform that was largely subsumed by Facebook — may have lost a decade’s worth of music uploaded by users, the company says. […] According to several media reports, it posted a message on its site recently reading, “As a result of a server migration project, any photos, videos, and audio files you uploaded more than three years ago may no longer be available on or from MySpace. We apologize for the inconvenience.”

2. MacbethSin

Regular

Oh cool

coleslawed and Raku like this.
  3. ibanez966

So all of it. We lost PureVolume last year too. A lot of 00s music is gone forever.

Raku and Brent like this.
  4. DickyCullz

I create content for some of your favorite artists

they lost my photos? oh thank god

a nice person, Raku, Essie and 3 others like this.
  5. morken

Not everything means something, honey Supporter

So that's why I haven't been able to stream my old bands' songs for the last couple years. Good thing that was the only digital copy I'm aware of..

6. SFguitar

Regular

I don't understand why myspace even still operates. I can't imagine they have a big enough user base to justify it's existence, unless it's still popular outside of North America

arcarsenal72 and Raku like this.
  7. In an incredible twist of fate, 1.3TB of these songs have been saved by an academic group and distributed by Jason Scott of textfiles.com.

coleslawed and supernovagirl like this.