Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

William Ryan Key to Play Yellowcard Set at Slam Dunk 2019

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

William Ryan Key talked with RockSound about performing a Yellowcard set at Slam Dunk:

Now that I’ve ventured out in to doing my own music, it’s pretty distant from the music that Yellowcard was making. So if I was going to play a solo slot it wouldn’t make a lot of sense to play this indie folk post-rock sound that I’m making. Also I feel like it’s a cool for these types of festivals to be able to represent Yellowcard in some way. I’m not trying to revive the band or get anyone pumped up for a reunion but those songs are a big part of us and mean a lot to the fans. It’s a nice way to pay tribute to all of those who supported the band over the years. In essence I’m now playing cover songs!

2. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

This is awesome. I wish more musicians would do this with past bands they were in that are no longer together.

3. Bayside 182

Wolverine Supporter

Yeah this is very cool. 9 times out of 10 if you go to see a solo artist from a previously big band the entire crowd is only there to hear you cover songs from that band. It's unavoidable.

reachingfor likes this.
  4. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

Love this, but also hate it. It kind of keeps the juices flowing and makes me wish they'd just all get on a stage and go nuts again (I am aware of how difficult and unlikely that truly is)

5. reachingfor

Regular Supporter

I’ve wondered about who gets paid in these scenarios. If Yellowcard is being promoted for the fest, does the rest of the band get a cut if they were co-writers on the songs?

6. Bayside 182

Wolverine Supporter

I would assume just the performer. I don't think artists have to pay the writer to perform a song live at a show but would if they recorded it and then were going to sell it, although I could be totally wrong.

7. DerekIsAGooner

So assuming that this weekend...

Vinnie from the Movielife would always do a fantastic job of things like this. He had his own solo music, but he'd always play Movielife and Avalanche songs on his acoustic tours. He puts together a solid mix of fan requests for older songs and throws in his solo stuff with it.

If I were to guess I'd say that Ryan will probably do a bit of both (some YC, some solo stuff).

8. Neon Light

rage and love

I’m so excited for this! Never thought I’d get to hear Yellowcard songs live again.
    Nope he’s doing a Yellowcard only set.

9. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

If you never thought you'd hear Yellowcard songs live again you don't understand how much people like money.

10. Neon Light

rage and love

I moved from Australia to Israel a few years ago so the chances of me being able to catch them even if they do ever tour again are low. It just so happens I'm going to Slam Dunk this year.

Brent likes this.
  11. josh-

Twitter: @joshcaraballin

Yellowcard reunion in 2 years confirmed

Brent and smowashere like this.
  12. Jared Luttrell

Regular

He's seemed pretty against playing Yellowcard songs on his solo tours so I'm kinda surprised by this. Awesome news for those who can go.

13. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

Would be cool if he did this at some US festivals too

14. Neon Light

rage and love

He said he'll play the 5-6 most popular Yellowcard songs. I haven't followed them as closely throughout their career as others here have but I'll guess Ocean Avenue, Only One, Lights and Sounds, Light Up the Sky and another one or two from OA (Way Away or Believe?).

15. smowashere

Trusted Supporter

Nearly half of his current solo set is YC songs. Highly recommend his solo tour btw!

sawhney[rusted]2 and Brent like this.