Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Sony Gets Rights to Prince Music

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

The New York Post:

Sony Music Entertainment has inked a deal to distribute 35 previously released Prince albums, the label and the late musician’s estate said Wednesday.

Terms of the deal, coming 26 months after Prince’s death, were not disclosed — but sources pegged its value at $20 million to $30 million.

2. BradBradley

Regular

This is absolutely insane. 35 unreleased albums, holy shit. This reminds me of Kevin Smith talking about Prince’s vault. Speaking of, I wonder if this means Smith’s documentary might eventually see the light of day through this deal too.

Edit: Reading is hard! RELEASED, not unreleased. Whomp whomp whoooooomp.

3. fourstarters

Team Wiggum

$20-30M seems WILDLY low.

bradsonemanband likes this.
  4. I went through the exact same emotions...

5. BradBradley

Regular

Haha. I got so excited. That’s okay - I still have faith that we’re going to be getting new Prince albums in 2057.

bradsonemanband likes this.
  6. MightyBrian

This is where I am suppose to write something cool Prestigious

I love Kevin's story about the Prince documentary.

7. ManchesterOrch8

Motel. Money. Murder. Madness.

He had much much more than 35 unreleased records.

He never stopped recording.

8. BradBradley

Regular

I’ve never really heard a confirmed or estimated amount of material he completed. That said, I guess I will look forward to the release schedule of his next 135 records.

9. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I'm not sure how profitable it could be though. Are people going to buy/stream this much content to make it truly worth that? Its hard to release singles and make cash with stuff like this. Or maybe I'm way off base.

10. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

Had no idea Prince had 35 albums, that's wild. He just kept putting stuff out. Total Tom Delonge of his day.