Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Facebook Wants Up to 30% of Fan Subscriptions

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Feb 27, 2019.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Josh Constine, writing at TechCrunch:

Facebook will drive a hard bargain with influencers and artists judging by the terms of service for the social network’s Patreon-like Fan Subscriptions feature that lets people pay a monthly fee for access to a creator’s exclusive content. The policy document attained by TechCrunch shows Facebook plans to take up to a 30 percent cut of subscription revenue minus fees, compared to 5 percent by Patreon, 30 percent by YouTube, which covers fees and 50 percent by Twitch.

It took me a weekend to build my own using Stripe. I firmly believe you should own the most important parts of your business and the membership system is how we can continue to exist as a publication. The idea of giving 30% to Facebook? Fuck all the way off.

2. mercury

modern-day offspring fanatic Supporter

This. Payment processing is a standard feature that web developers have to implement at work/for clients. If you’re serious about getting paid online, it’s worth the investment of either your time or someone else’s. If you’re not inclined to coding, find a freelance dev w good reviews who has done it before! it will be a bigger upfront cost, but will save you so much time/money/self respect in the future, because

don’t pay facebook for shit you can do better (or pay someone else to!)