Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Story Behind ‘Spider-Verse’ Using “Sunflower”

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

The writers of Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse share with Vulture the steps that went into using “Sunflower” in the movie:

It was critical that the song gag landed. We had a feeling it was because people knew the song, and they knew how he was messing it up. We were in big trouble when we couldn’t use it anymore — we needed to replace one of the greatest songs of the year, and we had to do it in time to spend the three months we would need to animate that shot. It turns out “Sunflower” is a massive hit song. We heard it as part of a batch of songs that Republic Records presented to us.

We also liked the metaphor this presents: Miles is singing a song that theoretically he’s a little too young for and he doesn’t know the words yet. That’s the metaphor we’re going to be working with for most of the rest of the movie. He’s going to be asked to step into shoes that he feels he’s not ready for, he’s not going to know the words, and he’s going to feel very self-conscious and nervous about that.

I love reading about the process behind decisions like this.

jorbjorb likes this.
  2. Jonathan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Verified

Honestly one of my favorite scenes in the movie, it told you so much about the character right off the bat.

sawhney[rusted]2 and jorbjorb like this.
  3. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

Soundtrack is really good

jorbjorb likes this.
  4. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

Haven't seen the movie, but I absolutely detest this song.

5. [​IMG]