Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

‘Space Jam 2’ Coming in July 2021

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

2. Jonathan Feb 22, 2019
    (Last edited: Feb 22, 2019)
    Jonathan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Verified

I'm ultimately a Warriors guy (but I respect LeBron a bunch.) That said, while I never cared for the original movie as a kid, it's rad that this is happening.

EDIT: I should add, I'm not huge on sports. I enjoy baseball/basketball but don't follow throughout the season. I do attend games occasionally. I don't know why I felt the need to offer that info up, but it probably helps explain my thoughts.

I think my sports friends held this movie on a whole different level growing up, so I know how big it is.

3. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I get Lebron is trying to continue to grow his brand and make money, but Kids don’t really know Looney Tunes anymore and I think those characters and their actions would fall on the offensive side of things for today’s audience (in comparison to the Jordan era).

Also, doing this movie seems like a wanting to be MJ moment, and when Lebron says he’s the best, you would think he’d attach himself to a different, not Jordan’s shadow kid series.

Pretty sure Lebron voiced home self on Teen Titans (or it was close paradynif not).

I will say as someone who has mixed feelings on Lebron depending what element of him you are talking about, I think it’s cool he’s reinvesting his money in the film industry and making content for kids.

4. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Can't be worse than the first one!

5. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

LeBron will be on a different team by then.

6. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Never saw it. I’m remember the technology being newer at the time. I would have rather him do a remake of Blue Chips, but there is no money in that.

7. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

That’s why he’s in LA. I remember hearing his his goal was to have made a billion dollars in his career(s). Not sure where he’s at with that.

8. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

Definitely a big reason he signed with LA, but his tread is thinning out and I wouldn't be surprised if the Lakers trade or just don't re-sign him at the end of this contract (which I think was a 3 year deal).

9. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Wow, that seems fast! Other than the All-star game and highlights, I’ve only seen him play once with LA and that was the game he left early against Golden State. Don’t miss having him in the East (even though he’s a Hall if Famer when he retires).

10. Jason Tate Feb 22, 2019
    (Last edited: Feb 22, 2019)
    I'll take that bet.

Brent, slowheart and scottlechowicz like this.
  11. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Brent likes this.
  12. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I know you don’t like me for some reason and are trying to prove me wrong... but generally they really they don’t watch Looney Tunes. Take that from a parent who has kids and spends a lot of time with kids. It’s a show littered with a history of highly offensive material. I’m not talking about TNT, Road Runners and falling off cliff slapstick humour. I know these shows are constantly being redone or rebranded to try and keep classic characters and soften their history. It’s just hard to shake that stuff. I’m surprised Lebron is going there, and his image helps them more than them helping his.

I would post an image as an example, but that stuff just needs to go away. Look up offensive Looney Tunes on google images if you don’t believe me.

Plus, it’s not on Netflix. Kids love Netflix ... and hate commercials.

13. Anecdotes are not data.

14. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I took a poll of the room 10 seconds ago. 0 for 8 know who Bugs Bunny is. Age ranges 6-10. Not all the from the same family.

Data collected.

Jonathan likes this.
  15. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

It strikes me that, if something was unpopular, they wouldn’t continually make it for decades.

Jason Tate and The Lucky Moose like this.
  16. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

They still make and sell My Pet Rock.

Brent likes this.
  17. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I won’t post photos of their racist portrayals but this summary works:

A handful of Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodiesshorts are no longer aired on American television, nor are they available for sale by Warner Bros. because of racial and ethnic stereotypes of black people, American Indians, Asians such as Japanese (especially during WWII, as in Tokio Jokio and Bugs Bunny Nips the Nips), Chinese, Germans and Italians.[34]Eleven cartoons were withdrawn from distribution in 1968 that prominently featured stereotypical black characters (and a few passing jokes about Japanese people, as in Coal Black and de Sebben Dwarfs and Jungle Jitters) and are known as the Censored Eleven.

In 1999, all Speedy Gonzales cartoons were removed from airing on Cartoon Network because of their alleged stereotyping of Mexicans.[35] Many Hispanics protested that they were not offended, and fondly remembered Speedy Gonzales cartoons as a representation of their youth and nation's individuality; these shorts were made available for broadcast again in 2002.[36]

In addition to these notorious cartoons, many Warner Bros. cartoons contain fleeting or sometimes extended gags that make reference to racial or ethnic stereotypes. The release of the Looney Tunes Golden Collection: Volume 3includes a disclaimer at the beginning of each DVD in the volume given by Whoopi Goldbergwhich explains that the cartoons are products of their time and contain racial and ethnic stereotypes that "were wrong then and they are wrong today", but the cartoons are presented on the DVD uncut and uncensored because "editing them would be the same as denying that the stereotypes existed."

I get they started sometime in the 1930’s and anything that’s been around that long has probably made mistakes.

But as a parent, I will not be choosing to take my kids to go see a character they’ve never heard, and if they type Bugs Bunny on the internet could bring up images suggested above. Sorry Lebron.

18. DooDooBird

Trusted

The Space Jam Soundtrack is better than the Space Jam movie itself.

Davjs, Jonathan and JRGComedy like this.
  19. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Well you can guarantee R. Kelly won’t be on Space Jam 2’s soundtrack.

20. Ska Senanake

Trusted

Should have brought MJ back and made the plot about him having to degenerately gamble to save humanity from enslavement from the aliens.

Jonathan and contra11mundum like this.
  21. SFguitar Feb 23, 2019
    (Last edited: Feb 23, 2019)
    SFguitar

Regular

I'm a 90s kid, and I like Looney Tunes, but I really don't understand the obsession with the original. It's a unique movie for sure, but I just don't think it's that good

I also agree with the guy that said kids don't know Looney Tunes anymore. I'm a substitute teacher for elementary, and most kids seem to be into Fortnite, Marvel, and Pokemon. Never heard any of them mention Looney Tunes

Jonathan likes this.
  22. myawrld

Regular

Never underestimate the power of nostalgia. I’m not expecting that it will reach Avengers / Black Panther level but in a world where a Jumanji sequel can gross over 900 million globally at the box office - I think Space Jam 2 will do just fine.

23. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Yes...the people old enough to have nostalgia are the people with the wallets.

I will say Jumanji was really banking more on the brand of the Rock than the Robin Williams film, just like the Lebron brand is bigger than the Looney Tunes brand currently.

Still, two things can sabatoge the Nostalgia...kids interest and current society. As I said, I think it’s great Lebron is putting his money into money money with his production company. Creates jobs. I don’t love his basketball antics at times, but he seems to be the guy willing to give back to the community. But, imagine if the internet or media wants to skewer him for being i a movie with characters from a show who have a history of their own.

I know they are just cartoons, but some racist imagery and Pepe grabbing and kissing any female cat who gets an accidentally white stripe of paint on her, Confederate soldier, guns stuff exists in those characters history. I’d imagine that all current versions of the show cut that out, but society currently big on bringing what people have done wrong in history (I’m not saying if I think it’s right or wrong, it’s just happening).

Time will tell. I won’t be bringing my kids see it, but I’m sure lots will which is their choice.

Unrelated, but Lego Movie 2 was good.