Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Ryan Adams Cancels Upcoming Album; FBI Opens Inquiry

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Feb 15, 2019.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

The FBI has opened an inquiry into Ryan Adams’s alleged communications with a minor:

In response to The Times’s article, F.B.I. agents in the bureau’s New York office on Thursday took the first steps to open a criminal investigation, according to the official, who declined to be identified because the person was not authorized to discuss it publicly.

Ryan’s upcoming album, Big Colors, has been pulled from all retailers.

2. AP_Punk

achin' to be Prestigious

Hopefully his upcoming gets scrapped too.

Brent likes this.
  3. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

I can’t believe Mandy Moore was married to him. Good for her to get out.

4. transrebel59

Regular

That's fucking crazy. This stuff happens all the time in the industry but I've never heard of FBI getting involved.

Saephon likes this.
  5. Saephon

Regular

No kidding. Makes you wonder if they know about something much worse, that we don't yet...

6. transrebel59

Regular

I would guess it's partially that and that he was "outed" (is that the right word) by such a large publication. I can't remember ever seeing a musician getting exposed on anything other than Twitter or Tumblr.

7. Ben Lee

I drink coffee and dad my kids Supporter

Well I think given the fact that it was just 4-6 years ago, and that the Times reviewed the messages (meaning they exist), it would make sense to criminally investigate it. I feel like there's enough here where they're obligated to at least investigate it.

Given that, I'm nervous that he walks away. There seems to be some insinuation that charges wouldn't be brought if he could successfully argue that he didn't know she was underage, which according to some of the reporting, it wasn't clear that she ever said she was actually 14 or 16 at the time of the conversations. He's already made the argument through his lawyer that he thought she was 20.

Anyways, I'm hoping he gets found guilty in this.

8. jciswhatis

Ugh, I hate America. Supporter

Much like the R Kelly tape that the Chicago reporter received and handed over to the feds the same day many years ago, I'm guessing the NY Times did the same thing with the text messages they had from the underage girl. The statute has not ran out so it makes sense why the FBI would jump at it.

supernovagirl likes this.
  9. elphshelf

100% made of farts Supporter

Was thinking this as well - since she went on record saying she wasn’t truthful about her age, would that potentially damage a case against him? I’m not defending what he did whatsoever, this just seems like an inevitable wrinkle that will need to be addressed.

10. Isaac likes this.
  11. Hmm

Isaac likes this.
  12. Ben Lee

I drink coffee and dad my kids Supporter

I think that’s a likely outcome, however unfortunate. Which of course leads to Ryan Adam coming out of his silence and trying to vindicate himself. Hopefully the public opinion is strong enough to keep him away.

13. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

And that’s just another way the system is fucked. His comments and “joke” about r kelly make it BEYOND clear that he knew exactly what he was doing. You can’t make comments that directly reference the trouble you’d get into “if people find out” and then feign innocence when people actually do find out.

jciswhatis and Ben Lee like this.
  14. heymynameisjoe

when the days have no numbers Prestigious

she left him for vinny chase, right?