Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Sum 41’s ‘Underclass Hero’ Coming to Vinyl

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Feb 1, 2019.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

2. jorbjorb

7 rings

underrated

3. Phil507

Resident NYC snob Supporter

I don't know, I remember hearing this in 2007 and felt it was a bit too obvious of an effort to try to glob onto to their 2001 glory days. Down to the cover and the "Underclass Hero" video is just felt a bit insincere coming from guys in their late 20's, especially with all the power ballads. That being said, haven't listened to this in forever so I should go back and see how it's aged.

jorbjorb likes this.
  4. pbueddi

Trusted

I think it has aged fine. It's a record I don't mind listening to all the way through for the most part.

5. Bayside 182

Wolverine Supporter

I actually enjoy this album but when I first heard it, it sounded as if right before writing it they just got out of a basement listening to American Idiot on repeat for 3 weeks.

6. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

I loved this album at first...thought it was really really good pop punk fast.

But I admit I dont revisit it very often

7. GageStillAlive

Still Alive Supply Co. Supporter

I get a lot of shit from my friends but this is my 2nd favorite Sum 41 album behind All Killer No Filler haha

Zach, Larry David and pbueddi like this.
  8. chavril

Pre ordered this so fast. This album brings back a lot of good memories, so happy I can finally own it on vinyl

9. DannyZach

Trusted

Yea the only problem is,it came out right after Chuck,which is Sum41’s ,,Untitled”

slimfenix182 and defmytones like this.
  10. pbueddi

Trusted

For sure. Chuck is such a good album.

11. Zach

Trusted Supporter

I always felt like if they had released it before American Idiot it might have been a bigger deal than it was being released later. Seeing as it was closer to Sum’s highest popularity time period back before AI. Initially listening to it I was like “damn where was this back in the day”

Love both bands and albums though. I also place this second in my overall Sum 41 lists

pbueddi likes this.
  12. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

I remember being so pumped for this album and I'm not sure I've ever felt more underwhelmed by a new release. Loved the band's previous albums and the way they were advancing their sound. This one seemed like a huge backward step, full of melodies that were rehashed or super obvious, incredibly basic lyrics, an unoriginal theme and a real lack of drive.
    I revisited it not too long ago and didn't hate it as much as I expected, but it remains one of the few albums that have single-handedly turned me from a huge fan of a band into someone with almost no desire to continue following their music.
    The AKNF, DTLI and Chuck trio is still great though.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  13. Zach

Trusted Supporter

I will agree that they definitely use the same chord progressions on the whole album. One of the easiest albums to learn to play lol

14. bd007h

chorus.fm's resident Meg Myers fan #GoSabres/Bills

Their most underappreciated album imo.

15. TDenverFan

Regular

Didn't their guitarist leave before this was recorded? That might be why

16. Zach

Trusted Supporter

I believe so, I think Derryck was solely in charge of guitar stuff. Seems like his substance abuse hit a high point at the time as well, so that could have had something to do with it as well.

17. Jared Luttrell

Regular

Actually has a handful of my favorite Sum 41 songs on it.

18. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Wow yeah, Walking Disaster, Dear Father, and Best of Me have the same exact verse melody haha

Steeeve Perry likes this.
  19. Phil507

Resident NYC snob Supporter

I think his alcoholism was at truly scary levels during the making of their 2011 album. In fact, there's a documentary about the making of that record which basically predicts where he ended up 2-3 years later.

20. Zach

Trusted Supporter

I thought that documentary was about underclass but I’ve only watched it the one time. It was a good documentary but you could definitely tell he was close to the tipping point

21. manoverboard679

If you have to ask, you can't afford it

This is a great album with a lot of variety though I didn't appreciate it at all when it came out. Partly because I was biased going in with Brownsound leaving and losing the heavy and part because I hated the cover when I bought it at Bestbuy lol like why tf is Derryck the only one on the cover??

Also for those who haven't heard this is a Chuck-era version of this record's first single which is much better IMO

22. pbueddi

Trusted

For sure. He was like a totally different person in that documentary than he is now.

23. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Wow it is way better

24. pbueddi

Trusted

This song is awesome. Although I like both for different reasons.

25. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

Just re-listened to the title track. It is still a direct rip off of Fat Lip (they even change up the flow to end each verse, and the changed-up flow is basically identical!) with a quick spoken word part after the second chorus just like Holiday by Green Day because we can't forget this was their attempt at tackling the same themes as American Idiot only years later and without the inspiration.
    Walking Disaster has a very strong Stay Together for the Kids influence and then segues into biting the melody from Some Say -- and that's just the intro.