Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Google+ to be Shut Down on April 2nd

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Feb 1, 2019.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Google+ will officially be shut down on April 2nd, 2019:

On April 2nd, your Google+ account and any Google+ pages you created will be shut down and we will begin deleting content from consumer Google+ accounts. Photos and videos from Google+ in your Album Archive and your Google+ pages will also be deleted. You can download and save your content, just make sure to do so before April. Note that photos and videos backed up in Google Photos will not be deleted.

2. ramomcferno

Mystery is the secret ingredient Prestigious

I liked the idea but it just didn't work out.

3. Jonathan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Verified

[​IMG]

4. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

A moment of silence for the 6 users still using it.

5. Who?

6. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

[​IMG]

7. Neon Light

rage and love

Wow I totally remember when this came out and was meant to take on Facebook.

summertimejesus likes this.
  8. SuNDaYSTaR

Regular Prestigious

Oh, no.

9. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

I'll bite—why did you like the idea in the first place? From my recollection, Google was so late to the game when this launched, that it seemed like a nuisance to me when they first announced it.

ramomcferno likes this.
  10. mescalineeyes

just admit that I'm the fantasy Prestigious

Yes please I would love for the single most invasive corporation to host my social life.

11. LightWithoutHeat

You're not a teammate on my team

Single most?

12. mescalineeyes

13. LightWithoutHeat

You're not a teammate on my team

No, I would have said "second most" in that case. Just that socials are all generally horrible with user data.

14. mescalineeyes

Yeah they’re all bad but google has so much of the average person’s data I don’t wanna add to that pile haha

LightWithoutHeat likes this.
  15. ramomcferno

Mystery is the secret ingredient Prestigious

I really liked the circles idea. I liked the idea of compartmentalizing my friend groups, so that way if I wanted to post something to everyone, everyone could see it, but if I wanted to just post things to a certain group like family or close friends I could just post directly to that group. Maybe someone else did it better but I only use Facebook and Twitter so this seemed like a new, interesting concept to me.

16. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

Facebook has lists that you can use for that purpose (even though no one ever does). They've had that feature since before Google+ came out. Twitter has no sort of concept like that.

My biggest objection to Google+ was Google shoving it down everyone's throats. Want to make a YouTube comment? Here, have a Google+ account. Want to keep using Picasa? Here, have a Google+ account. I can't tell you how many times I accidentally recreated my Google+ account doing something else on Google only to go back and delete it again.

coleslawed likes this.