Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Mark Hoppus Wants to Experiment More With Blink-182

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Mark Hoppus talked with Kerrang about the upcoming Blink-182 album:

“After playing in this band for 27 years, I want to push it and do different things and take blink to places where we haven’t been before,” he tells Kerrang!. “We’re really trying to do that on the new record. We want to do with our band what we did in 2003 with Untitled, where we take our foundations and go off in completely weird directions.”

2. Orla

little old lady Prestigious

Can’t object to that

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  3. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

"We're doin' BABABA's now instead of NANANA's"
    :bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

Jk, i'll check it out.

4. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Came here to make the same joke lol

Raku, Kingjohn_654 and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  5. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Blink is at their best when they experiment so I am all for this.

Kingjohn_654 and bradsonemanband like this.
  6. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

Bring Tom back into the band and write a concept album about aliens.

7. FrankieThe4th

things have never been stranger Prestigious

always chasing that Untitled 03 high

8. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

a thousand times this.

9. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

10. alkalinexandy Jan 30, 2019
    (Last edited: Jan 30, 2019)
    alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

This probably explains the recent collaborations. Curious to see what they do here. I'm not anticipating it sounding anything like the 2003 self-titled record, though... I'm guessing it'll be more of an attempt a "let's write songs that Top 40 radio can play in 2019" album. The self-titled record had them expand their palette by looking back at some of their influences.

I'm hoping the collabs allow them to expand their palette in a way that feels natural. It can get pretty cringeworthy when bands throw in "modern" sounds and its clearly there just to try to mix it up and stay relevant...

I don't care whether I like the songs or not; it'd be pretty cool for Blink to have another hit of mainstream success.

11. Bayside 182

Wolverine Supporter

came here to make the same joke, then to say "came here to make the same joke" now I've got nothin :-)

12. tyler2tall

Trusted Supporter

I hope they go all in. I was hoping that MANIA would be all like Young and Menance

BornToRun and Essie like this.
  13. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

So many people are gonna shit on it, but Im all for them putting out a weird record. Bro purists are gonna lose their shit, and Im excited about that.

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  14. somethingwitty

Trusted

This wont be a weird album...it'll probably feature production from a couple DJs and some Soundcloud rapper features...

Walkabout, Raku, chewbacca110 and 5 others like this.
  15. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

It's a polka record. Confirmed weird is weird

16. dubey

Regular

I want a TOYPAJ 2 but this will do

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  17. theredline

Trusted Supporter

I mean I could be could be it depends on what they mean by “weird.” Because when I want to listen to blink 182 there’s a certain “thing” I wanna hear. If they do new and cool things with their “thing” then bravo! But if they go too off the rails and the blink 182 “thing” is unrecognizable then that could be catastrophic! Hoping it’s is a success and, either way, I’ll give it a listen.

18. TerrancePryor

https://mp3sandnpcs.com/ Prestigious

Blink-182 goes industrial, ya'll. I'm down.

DesolateEarth likes this.
  19. bodkins

Trusted

Pretty sure this is exactly what @Jason Tate predicted on a podcast a couple years back and 100% sure this is what I want from them.

edit: assuming its not an edm polka record...

20. Kristopherkshinn

I'm all for experimentation from blink 182. John Feldmann being involved with said experimentation worries me tho. A huge part of me would love to know what blink would've become after the s/t in 2003 had Jerry Finn not passed.

21. Maverick

Trusted

Yeah if they want to experiment in the vein of the untitled album they should start by dropping John Feldmann imo.

macbethfan, solxace, fran.182 and 3 others like this.
  22. dzyjay

Regular

Always excited for new blink but prefer songs like cynical and San Diego opposed to Los Angeles and bottom of the ocean.

DooDooBird likes this.
  23. AllenRicketts

Regular

Nothing sounds new or weird with Feldman. Most milquetoast production ever. I want to believe this but man.

24. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

Essie likes this.
  25. DooDooBird

Trusted

Yes! Easily the two worst songs from the last album. Total trash, if I’m being honest.

dzyjay likes this.