Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Better Oblivion Community Center Interview Roundup

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jan 24, 2019.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

It’s Better Oblivion Community Center roundup time.

We’ve got an interview with DIY Mag:

“I was spending a lot of time in LA in the last couple of years, and I ended up hanging out with Phoebe and her friends a lot,” Conor explains, speaking to DIY over the phone from his native Omaha, Nebraska, where he and Phoebe are recording in the run-up to Christmas. “They’re always working on songs together, and trying to write for different people’s records, and their own records, so it’s a cool scene to be around.” He continues: “[There are] a lot of songwriters that are happy to share their songs and so we just wrote one of those songs on a whim, and then it turned into…’let’s do another one!’ And then ‘maybe we’ll make a single!’ and then…” Well, then it turned into the Better Oblivion Community Center.

A video interview with NME:

Asked why they chose to release the album by surprise, Bridgers told NME: “I really wanted to, because even before we started this I had a really good idea of what our hypothetical band would sound like. I don’t think it does like sound that, so I wanted to make sure that people didn’t think it was going to sound a certain way. It’s not duet-y. I think we stayed pretty true to it being its own band.”

An interview with Rolling Stone:

Bridgers and Oberst, who plan to take their new band on the road this spring, share a jovial familiarity with one another. Discussing the album in advance of its surprise release, Bridgers explains the process of deciding who sang lead on which song: “Conor — sorry to speak for you — but Conor doesn’t sing harmony.”

“No offense taken,” he replies with a chuckle.

“I would make an active choice to be like, ‘Okay, I always sing harmony, so on a couple of these songs I want Conor to sing harmony,’” Bridgers continues.

“It made me a better singer to have to do that,” Oberst adds. “It was cool to stretch myself a bit. It’s definitely not my strong suit, but Phoebe’s really fucking great at it. So to have a vocal coach like her being there being like, ‘No, you can do it. Try harder…’”

And an audio interview with Matt Wilkinson at Beats 1.

bobsheiskawy and trevorshmevor like this.
  2. thank you for compiling this!

Jason Tate likes this.
  3. That NME live interview was painful - not because of Conor or Phoebe but that interviewer was just so bland

seimagery likes this.
  4. seimagery

instagram.com/thekissingglow/

Reading about the beginnings of their song writing process was cool. Glad they both had genuine fun making a great record that I can't wait to dive deeper into.

5. Bartek T.

D'oh! Prestigious

Best surprise of the month! Getting through all the interviews and stuff, listened to the album like 5 times probably!

coleslawed likes this.