Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

As It Is – “The Fire, The Dark” Video

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jan 17, 2019.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

2. Dust Of Fallen Rome

Regular

It's an alright song, I just really don't think Patty can fit the Gerard Way/Bert McCracken role he seems to be trying to fill very well at all though... but the message from this album has been so amazingly positive that I've actually enjoyed it a lot anyway.

3. cosmickid

Composer, but never composed.

Yeah, I can't say I'm as convinced by the world they've created as I was by the one from The Black Parade. This band has just always been hella corny imo, and I can't help feeling like they're riding a wave with this concept, intentionally or no. Can't hate on the themes at all though ofc.

4. SundayDrive555

12 years ago this would be a jame

5. Dust Of Fallen Rome

Regular

Yeah Patty has one of the most grating and whiny voices around. He has less than 10% of what Gerard and Bert had. But hey, these songs have been really cool to listen to for the message alone.

6. tshreve

Metalicca

Instrumentally this song sounds straight off In Love and Death

7. Dust Of Fallen Rome

Regular

Exactly, but minus the sense of dread and menace that album actually had. Somehow I couldn't imagine them pulling off a "Sound Effects and Overdramatics"...

tshreve likes this.
  8. tshreve

Metalicca

Yeah my thought with most of this album is it sounded like a lot of things I loved from my youth (the Used, MCR, Funeral for a Friend, etc.) all thrown together but watered down heavily into a Disney Channel-sanitary version of that sound. I appreciate the change in direction but don’t think this band have the guts to really back it up

9. Dust Of Fallen Rome

Regular

Agreed. Though I mean, from what I've always understood (at least as far as MCR and The Used are concerned - not too sure about FFAF) a lot of those early albums were fueled by some pretty deep, dark trauma that those people were dealing with - I'm talking drug addiction, loss of loved ones (Bert lost a child when his girlfriend at the time overdosed around when he made In Love And Death); that kind of thing. Not that would ever discredit Patty's personal pain and all because I know very well what it's like to suffer in your mental health, but as far as I know I don't think he's really been through the sheer hell and horror that those things bring you. So while I do commend Patty for wanting to be a new version of Bert or Gerard, it just doesn't seem like he's been to the kinds of depths those guys have. .