Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Maine Announce New Album; Stream New Song

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

The Maine have announced their new album, You are Ok, will be out on March 29th. Today they’ve released the new song “Numb Without You” and pre-orders are now up.

[​IMG]

Track Listing

1. Slip The Noose
    2. My Best Habit
    3. Numb Without You
    4. I Feel It All Over
    5. Heaven, We’re Already Here
    6. Forevermore
    7. Tears Won’t Cry (shinju)
    8. One Sunset
    9. Broken Parts
    10. Flowers on The Grave

Matt504 and macbethfan like this.
  2. macbethfan

Trusted Supporter

Yeah, totally digging this. Excited for the album. I didn’t get into their last one until mid-2018, so I’ll be hearing the new one right when it’s released.

3. Matt504

Trusted Prestigious

Interesting cover, different kinda tune for them as well. It reminds me of a With Confidence song that they have on Love and Loathing...

4. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

I like it

5. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

These guys are on such a heater it’s insane

6. thegreatbenbino

Be excellent to each other! Supporter

Some moments remind me of The Used's Lies for Liars. Not sure if this song is hitting me like the first couple singles from the last album did, but I enjoy it.

7. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

This is a super boring song... it was the same line over and over again. Predictable chords/break downs... I expect so much more from this band.

seimagery and 44DeLonge like this.
  8. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

Not a fan.

9. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Man... I thought their last album was mediocre and this is whatever too. On the fence about pre-ordering it.

I loved their Pioneer - Forever Halloween era the most but I don’t think I’m going to get that ever again.

10. skoopy

Regular

We're in the minority here but I agree. They really brought out some artistic home-runs during that era and while their recent material wasn't in poor quality I'm unsure what is supposed to be stand-out about this especially. It feels like a rollback in ambition which is frustrating as they have really flirted with being truly outstanding throughout their discog.

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  11. Nope nope nope.

:up:

12. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Yuuuuuuuuup.

I remember being super excited for Forever Halloween and thinking it was just alright... till they released their deluxe edition with bonus tracks that are better than 95% of that record. Songs like “Bliss”, “Ugly on the Inside”, and especially “Ice Cave” are all fantastic tracks.

American Candy has some really good tunes but by the time Lovely Little Lonely game out... the band lost me. It had some decent tracks but nothing nearly as stellar as Pioneer or the bonus Forever Halloween tracks I mentioned.

13. skoopy

Regular

Yeah those FH bonus tracks were great. I didn't recognize the band the first time ice cave came on.

I can certainly appreciate the thematic potency on display in the last couple of records, but as the band has seemed to settle into a bit of a sonic groove their songwriting has felt less engaging at least for me.

That being said I definitely don't want to be one of those people calling from the bleachers that "so and so aren't recognizing their potential fully" because that is inherently jaded and subjective. I'm happy that they've assembled such an enthusiastic base here even as I struggle to entirely connect. I'll always hold an interest in their material as long as they don't pull a u-turn back into CSWS territory.

cosmickid and mattylikesfilms like this.
  14. Histrionics

Yeah it's good

15. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

Wow. Absolutely do not agree with those takes. LLL as a whole is by far their most potent melodically and is so sonically cohesive that it’s far beyond anything I’ve heard from them before. Hard to say from one song, but their marketing suggests they got the message from the LLL cycle and will be applying that to YAOK.

I’m curious as what you think the band realizing their “full potential” would sound like (musical references, themes that come to mind, etc.). Can you list some songs you think flirt with being outstanding? Maybe I missed something haha

16. Paul Marmo

LLL was the only Maine album I ever purchased so that says something, at least for me. I agree, LLL was so cohesive and well produced. I like the band's direction.

Jason Tate and sawhney[rusted]2 like this.
  17. DearCory

Regular

This song is giving me hints of The Black Parade... it seems really far off, and I can't pinpoint it, but there's something that keeps taking me back to it. Maybe it's the strings or the drums? They said this album was a big leap and something they needed to do...

CyberInferno likes this.
  18. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

I think those of us who like this song and the direction of The Maine in general are in the majority. I'm surprised to hear naysayers here.

Jason Tate likes this.
  19. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

Totally agree, I just want to gain a better idea of their perspective and what they’re looking for out of the band. I’m always open to change my mind about past work and such.

20. Dust Of Fallen Rome

Regular

Wow this is actually very listenable and fun. I should probably just let my inbuilt prejudices around this band from their neon days die...

21. I dig this a lot. I find each of their albums suit a mood for me so happy to see where this album fits into all of that.