Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Vacationer – “Minimum”

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jan 14, 2019.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

2. noKings

Regular

Shoutout to Vacationer for making my Top 3 in 2018.

3. Dust Of Fallen Rome

Regular

It still blows my mind that this band is Kenny from TSL. It's not remotely my cup of tea and I wouldn't be caught dead listening to it but respect to Kenny for making something for himself out of TSL's legacy.

4. zachmacD

Trusted

This is a great tune! There are a couple of songs on Mindset that I would’ve preferred this over, but it’s a different vibe then the rest of the songs so I get it

5. zachmacD

Trusted

Why wouldn’t you be caught listening to it?

6. Dust Of Fallen Rome

Regular

Because I generally find anything that leans that heavily on "tropical" vibes to be something worth avoiding...

7. zachmacD

Trusted

The new album really isn’t tropical at all. The last album was though I understand the critique.

8. Dust Of Fallen Rome

Regular

Right, well this sounds, to me at least, like Kygo jizzed all over it - so hardest pass possible from me dawg.

9. zachmacD

Trusted

That’s quite a visceral reaction to such a chill album but different strokes for different folks I guess

10. Dust Of Fallen Rome

Regular

Yeah I don't do what most people call "chill" so that's probably why haha.

11. Bartek T.

D'oh! Prestigious

This b-side is amazing, better than lots of other Vacationer songs! But well, I understand it doesn't really fit the vibe of the album.. Still coming to terms what's my AOTY of the last year, and eventually this might be it.

zachmacD and noKings like this.
  12. noKings

Regular

If you like vacationing in sunny places and sitting on the beach, enjoying life, all three Vacationer albums enhance every trip for me. If you like dark, cold places and hate relaxing, don't listen to this.

zachmacD likes this.
  13. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

I've taken a cruise the last two summers now. I left for the most recent one the day Mindset was released, so of course that was my soundtrack for the entire week.

On the one two summers ago, I got on the boat the first day and as I was walking through the halls to find my room, "Shining" (my favorite song of theirs) was playing over the speaker. That was mostly weird because every other song played on the trip was like the most mainstream music possible, yet they had a non-single Vacationer song played at that moment. It was great.

noKings and zachmacD like this.
  14. zachmacD

Trusted

Lmao, agreed. I heard someone recently say that Vacationer sounds like something you’d hear in a woman’s department store. I completely disagree but the jab was pretty funny. Anyway, not sure how you could not like these guys

noKings likes this.
  15. zachmacD

Trusted

I love it when stuff like that happens. I booked a trip for my girlfriend and I last summer and we listened to Mindset and my Vacationer playlist the entire trip. Great vacation vibes

16. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

Not liking it is perfectly fine, but I usually hear people who are unfamiliar with this style just lump it in with literally anything else they can think of that might be remotely similar. It makes me laugh.

"They used samples and an Ableton Push? Must be that dubstep shit." "They had a clip of waves rolling in a song? Must be that tropical house shit."

17. noKings

Regular

Women's department store? Not sure what that even means, but oh well. Maybe I should visit more department stores for music recommendations.

Bartek T. and zachmacD like this.
  18. Dust Of Fallen Rome

Regular

Look, my thoughts on this song aside, that has to be one of the dumbest things I've ever heard (not you for saying it, but whoever thought that originally). Doesn't literally every musician of a certain type use Ableton now? Like, if you're gonna hate on Ableton I feel like you'd end up missing out on so many styles because of one dumb assumption.

19. zachmacD

Trusted

It was the punk rock mba YouTube channel which is actually very good. He did a video about bands that should’ve been bigger. TSL was one of them and he mentioned Ken has s new project

20. Bartek T.

D'oh! Prestigious

After some listening revisions I've decided and "Mindset" is my AOTY of last year's! ;d

noKings likes this.