Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Netflix’s ‘Black Mirror: Bandersnatch’ Leads to “Choose Your Own Adventure” Trademark Lawsuit

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

The Hollywood Reporter:

Chooseco, LLC, the childrens’ book publisher that owns the trademark to “Choose Your Own Adventure,” has filed a lawsuit against Netflix over the immersive film, Black Mirror: Bandersnatch.

According to a complaint filed in Vermont federal court on Friday, Chooseco has been using the mark since the 1980s and has sold more than 265 million copies of its Choose Your Own Adventure books.

2. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

First thoughts that came to mind is that I haven't actually seen Netflix use that phrase in promotion of the film, but instead I've heard people like myself make reference to the book series. That people, including journalists covering the film make the association isn't on Netflix. Secondly, I suspect it'd be hard for them to prove it hurts their brand, when in fact it's probably raising the profile of their series through association with Netflix/Black Mirror.

3. Ska Senanake

Trusted

Bandersnatch was basically a tribute / fangush to the choose your own adventure books. Pretty lame they are suing.

4. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Well maybe this will help prevent the “choose your own adventure” copy cat film projects that were to come.

Life is a chose your adventure in general. I will take a well crafted story that keeps me interested and on my toes anyway. I do appreciate the attempt though for the sake of trying.

teebs41 and Raku like this.