Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Apple Music Wrapped: A Shortcut to Visualize Your Most Listened Songs, Artists, and Genres...

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Federico Viticci, over at MacStories, has put together one of the most incredible Shortcuts I’ve ever seen:

When Spotify was my music streaming service of choice, one of the features I really liked was its personalized Wrapped report generated at the end of the year. I’ve always been a fan of geeky annual reports and stats about the usage of any given web service – be it Spotify, Pocket, or Toggl. I appreciate a detailed look at 12 months of collected data to gain some insight into my habits and patterns. […]

But Apple doesn’t seem interested in adding this feature to Apple Music, so I decided to build my own using Shortcuts. The result is the most complex shortcut I’ve ever created comprising over 540 actions. It’s not perfect due to the limitations of iOS and Shortcuts, but it’s the closest I was able to come to replicating Spotify’s excellent Wrapped feature.

As anyone that’s played around with the Shortcut app will tell you, this is extremely impressive. I highly recommend reading the entire post from Viticci to see how he built it and what the limitations are. I ran it to analyze my top 200 songs and was surprised to learn I listened to Tonight Alive a lot more than I remembered. You can find my full report here, if you’re curious.

Grab the Shortcut here.

[​IMG]

Jason Tate’s Top 200 From 2018

defmytones likes this.
  2. I have a Smart Playlist in iTunes that I use to keep track of what I played the most in the past year as well, and Fall Out Boy actually topped my list, but because those songs weren't being played in Apple Music for a good portion of the year (it was my mp3 files of the album), they didn't get captured:

Screen Shot 2019-01-08 at 11.57.47 AM.png

3. GageStillAlive

Still Alive Supply Co. Supporter

Wow, this is amazing! I can't imagine trying to put this together haha

4. heymattrick

Pool Boy at the Vampire Mansion

Uhhh, the fact that Bishops Knife Trick isn’t as high as the rest of MANIA on your list is really concerning to me.

5. atlastitsok

Regular

Super impressed with this - one of the main things I am disappointed Apple Music doesn’t have.

This is just music actually added in 2018 as well right not everything I listened to? Any idea if it’s possible to run for all music in my library?

6. Haha, it's at the end of the album ... which means it would only get counted if I listened to the entire thing in full and didn't stop in the middle. :crylaugh:

7. JamesMichael

Software Engineer Prestigious

I'm liking all The Night Game plays on there with some Allie X!

8. heymattrick

Stop...in the middle...of Bishops Knife Trick? Before the bridge?!?!

9. Nooooo, sometimes I'll stop in the middle of the album and not finish the album. Like to eat lunch or something.

10. heymattrick

Good save, Tate.

Jason Tate likes this.
  11. RileyWitiw

more like absolutepop.net Supporter

So cool! Thanks for sharing Jason. Was pretty jealous of Spotify users during the new year not gonna lie

falafelmywaffle and Jason Tate like this.
  12. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

This is really interesting. I was sad to see my top 10 of 2018 was all Kanye and my top 10 of 2017 was all Brand New

13. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

This is great. I only joined Apple Music in August so 9 of my top 10 are Foxing, but my number 1 artist is Mitski. Nice.

Dan O'Neill likes this.
  14. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

My top song of the year was ‘If You Were Mine’ (feat. Lil Yachty) by Ocean Park Standoff.

I don’t even remember listening to that song at all after May.

15. Jdfleming89

RIP ETID Supporter

@Jason Tate i spy the full Copeland album on your list. How is it?

coleslawed likes this.
  16. defmytones

Regular

Great share Jason. Doesn't surprise me one bit Sister Cities blew everything out of the water on my lists. Was curious to see a consistent 8 or so albums on most of the lists.

Jason Tate likes this.