Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Love It or Hate It, Refused Changed Punk

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Dec 19, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

David Anthony, writing for Noisey:

All that love, and all that criticism, was only further proof of the impression that The Shape Of Punk To Come made. Even if it’s become cooler to deny the record its place in punk history, the actual shape of modern punk music would be drastically different without Refused. For a full decade, bands used The Shape of Punk to Come as a sonic reference point, and it became a stand-in for a bigger ideological shift within the genre. It’s become a way to describe punk and hardcore music that has a forward-thinking approach, one that sees the style as an open space where anything could be possible. So while it may not be easy to find a band that accurately replicated Refused’s sound, the fact that they became the baseline for an entire artistic approach speaks volumes.

2. TomG

Trusted Supporter

Still one of my favorite productions on an album

3. Mibabalou

MUFC / NYRB Prestigious

great band fantastic record

4. theredline

Trusted Supporter

Yup.

5. torres

Regular

Does anyone noteworthy actually hate that Refused changed punk?

6. chilllll

Regular

I tried saying this one time in a fb thread and everyone chewed my ass out about how this cd was a replica of other bands during that era... Even the album artwork is a knock off of another album. I loved this album but i feel like the author is as ill advised as i once was lol

7. Sometimes if you wait long enough you get a great one two posting punch.

8. Dust Of Fallen Rome

Regular

I mean, has anyone ever said otherwise? Every circle I've ever been in dick rides this album to a point that even I, as a Refused fan and someone who counts The Shape Of Punk To Come as an all-time personal favourite game-changer album, have found to be annoying...

9. Dust Of Fallen Rome

Regular

Isn't ripping off shit part and parcel of 'punk' or whatever? Tons of bands did it and still do and does anyone who isn't a perfectionist really care?